Whats a good highback bucket seat for 72 CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Whats a good highback bucket seat for 72 CJ5

I have a 72 CJ5 fairly modified with a tilt steering colum. I have bucket highback seats in it now,but they are a rather high profile on the seat and it is a bit of a squeeze. Are there some type of bucket that will install without alot of modification.What works well on the stock brackets (Highbacks) or am i going to have to build new brackets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:59 AM

Re: Whats a good highback bucket seat for 72 CJ5

As far as a 5 is concerned, I don't think there is much you can do. Every five I have been in has had the seat all the way to the wheelwell. I am not a little guy and am just about comfortable in my five with the seat all the way back. I have steelhorse buckets in mine. (Don't know if their highbacks or not...) I guess you could look for a seat with less material so to speak so it was "thinner". If you got a tilt wheel though, your probably as well off as you can be. I have a regular column in mine, with buckets and soon to have a full cage which will make getting in and out a bit interesting.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 01:14 AM

I really like my Fiero seats. They are fairly thin and very comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1191660-Roll cage 2.jpg (91.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 03:40 PM

I just got my 75 CJ5 and the seats are among the first to go. I've never seen seat brakets like the ones in there. I guess they're stock..bars attach to the door frame and the floor?

I was thinking of getting some race type seats from Summit because they are pretty thin.

Can you get a shot of the brackets under the Fiero seats? How much fab work did they require?

Thanks

Sean
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Journeyman

FWIW I was able to bolt in some '80's jeep seats on my '75 CJ5. At least the driver side was a bolt on. I am still working on the brackets for the passenger seat. The newer seats are thinner and the fit under the steering wheel is much better. Also the high back gives better support.

I have seen writeups for Mustang seats too.

YMMV.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Can you get a shot of the brackets under the Fiero seats? How much fab work did they require?

[/ QUOTE ]1. It took me about 2 hours to modify each seat mount,
2. To work on the OEM CJ7 mounts.
3. They sit highrer,
4. They're not raked back,
5. They're very comfortable.
6. I sure vote for the Fierro Seats!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 09:29 PM

Has anyone tried Bestop Trailmax seats? I've been looking at putting those in my 66 CJ5. I got the specs from Bestop and it looks like the driver side should go on to the stock brackets without major modifications. Looks like I'll have to do some welding on the passenger side brackets though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:49 PM

I went to the wrecker's (actually 3) last weekend to look for some seats. What a grim selection. No Fiero's that's for sure. The cars in the pick a part yards had only the most disgusting seats, stained, cigarette burned, worn out fabric, etc. I should consider fabric dye to increase my range of acceptable seats due to the colors. I've never tried it, but I hear the spray can fabric dyes work well. I'm hoping black would cover any ugly color.

The only seats that looked decent were Honda Prelude seats. Looked kinda like the Fiero's. Side bolsters, etc. Maybe the volvo seats as well, they had a nice shape and cool head rests. One had black vinyl, and that's a plus for a jeep. The typical seats I was finding looked wider than jeep buckets, and didn't have any side bolstering.

I'm going to try again in a few weeks and see if there is any better selection. I'm not going to the work of pulling and refitting them unless it's a definate upgrade. My jeep highbacks don't work properly with my 5 way harness, the seat back spreads the shoulder belts, so I need a detached headrest style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode