Setting up a link suspension? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Setting up a link suspension?

I've tried searching on pirate and can't find what i'm looking for. I'm looking for a 101 of setting up a 3 or 4 link rear suspension. I have no clue what squat or anti squat is or how to set it up right so i don't get rear steer. Is there a web site that explains all this in plain english or can some one give me the 101 on setting up a link suspension.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Official Historian

Re: Setting up a link suspension?

There were two issues of Peterson's this summer that went into good detail and an example of setting one up. I bought the second issue but not the first. They were June and July 2003.

They also recommended a few books:
Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams
Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics by Thomas D. Gillespie
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken and Milliken

The article is what I am going to base my buildup on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:41 PM

You couldnt find any link suspension tech info on the Pirate BBS?

I have found weeks worth of reading there, I guess you just have to know which to read and digest, and which to dismiss and ignore, or read it all then forget it all like me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 PM

This thread has tons of great info,,,,,,,,,and tons of BS,,,,,,sort through it and you will be glad you did.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...+of+suspension

Research:
"how to find the center of gravity on your rig", "instant center", "roll center", "squat and anti-squat", "Horizontal and vertical link seperation",,,,you'll need to understand these to understand how to set-up the suspension.

As far as rockcrawler 4 links,,,, it's still being prefected(and always will be) so there is not really a simple "this is the way it's done" answer. After re-doing mine a few times(and years of researching about others) , this is what I am using now and it works as good or better then anything I seen. It's a double tri, 4 link. The uppers are are parallel with the ground with 32" of Horizontal seperation @ the frame and 4" @ the diff. The lowers have 14" at the Tcase output and 36" @ the axle tubes. The uppers are 34" long and the lower are 32" long. The vertical seperation is 6" @ the frame and 11" @ the axle. With this I have very close to 150 % anti-squat, no rear steer, and no "jacking", the axle does not try to "walk " under the rig during articulation, It always pushs the rig forward. I'm very pleased with it now and most likely do the same setup for the next rig.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1191613-1rearsup.jpg (52.8 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode