360 Valve train tick/tap....what now? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 01:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

360 Valve train tick/tap....what now?

Last week I started hearing a metal ticking noise out of the blue from my CJ. This weekend I changed the oil (used some engine restore type stuff), put in new plugs and fixed a couple obvious exhaust leaks with new header gaskets hoping that might cure it. No luck...Started it up and have run it for a couple days now but the ticking/tapping is still there. The engine still seems to run very strong but this noise is annoying as all get out! Anyhow...I'm just a weekend wrencher and have never experienced a valve train problem. I just pray it's not something worse. What do I do from here? If I pull the valve covers, what should I look for? I cant really tell which side it's coming from...thanks for any advice [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 360 Valve train tick/tap....what now?

I know not all 360 rocker arms are to be torqued down so you need to figure out which 360 you have. On mine the rocker arms are to be torqued at 25 foot pounds(not 100% sure on the torque spec,) But anyway, in the past I have had the keeper nuts back off a couple of times. I bought a couple of new keepers and it hasn't done it since... I think the style that does not torque like that has a bracket going across the rockers for each cylinder. Had those on my old Wagoneer but never had to adjust them, so I can't help you there....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:35 PM

carefully move a rod or shortened brook stick around the valve covers and see if you can stick it to your ear and narrow down where the knock is.

Ive had a 360 ram a pushrod THRU a rocker arm, and it ticked pretty good, it was a noticable difference in power though since that cylinder was no longer contributing.

pull the valve covers and check for loose arms, bent push rods, keep them all in the same place they come from, they wear in patterns.
they are cheap to replace as components if you need to, its the same pushrods as a small block chevy.

use plenty of assembly lube when you reinstall, and torque them to spec. they arent adjustable, you torque to spec and thats it.

if it isnt a rocker arm or pushrod, its a stuck/collapsed lifter, and thats a bit more complicated to remove and replace, BUT possibly could be fixed with an oil addititive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:09 PM

Test the way Ozark has said and the rocker "bridges are likely to wear. The nut on each rocker holds the bridge onto the rocker and this can wear out allowing the rocker to loosen up. The bridges and rockers have to be torqued down together, each set to keep from springing or breaking the bridge. Most people forget about this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Assuming that it is a valve train problem, what you are hearing is the valve slamming shut against the seat. There is a seating ramp at the end of the grind that closes the last few thousandths slowly. If you have too much valve lash, it misses the seating ramp and slams shut.

To find the valve that's causing the problem, remove the valve cover and with the engine running, press down on the valve stem end of each rocker with the handle end of a big hammer. This cushions the closing of the valve and when you get to the problem one, the noise will stop or at least soften.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:07 PM

I second Ozarkjeep's advice to pinpoint the noise except that I would advise you to spend the $15 on a mechanic's stethoscope. It has helped me pinpoint the piston slap in my 360 and various exhaust leaks and other noises. It could even be that the noise you are hearing is not in the valve train but somewhere else. That help you prevent a misdiagnosis and more headaches than you really need.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We\'re up and running again!

Thanks for all your advise...I finally had a chance to take a deeper look at my valve ticking problem. It turned out to be a loose rocker arm bolt on the passenger side. Just one bolt came loose, all the others were still nice and tight. I'm sooo happy it wasnt something worse and even happier I dont have to cancel my wheelin trip next weekend [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: We\'re up and running again!

See, Its not allways as bad as you think its going to be!!! Ok so it usualy is that bad for me when it comes to my Jeep!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode