My Trail Toolkit--critique/comments please! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

My Trail Toolkit--critique/comments please!

Okay, I decided to redo my trail toolkit, and did a search....I didn't find anything tool specific, so hence this post. Below is a list of what I have decided to carry nowdays, even if what I had before was okay. Please give let me know what you think, and what you would do differently:

Wrenches:
1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4"...duplicates of 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" and 5/8"
1/2" and 9/16" tubing wrench (single wrench, double ended)
6", 8", and 10" crescent wrenches

Screwdrivers:
Small standard and phillips
reg standard, regular phillips, big standard (for prying lockwashers on CJ hubs)
stubby phillips and stubby standard
gasket scraper

Pliers:
Snap ring pliers with 4 heads
Reg pliers
Medium size channel locks
Needle nose w/cutters
Small Diagnal cutters

3/8" Drive sockets:
Rachet, 6" extension, 3" extensison, Wobbly
3/8", 7/16". 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4, 13/16", 7/8"
Same sizes in Deepwell sockets
13/16" Sparkplug socket
3/8" to 1/2" adapter

1/2" Drive rachet:
Rachet, 3" extension
3/4", 13/16", 7/8", 15/16" both regular and deep
Socket for hub nut
1/2" to 3/8" adapter

Other tools:
Big Ballpeen hammer, small pocket knife, 3/8" round file, 1" wide half round file, small wire brush, allen wrench correct for Warn hubs, wiring pliers, mini hack with extra blades, small punch, helibar, tire pressure guage, C-clamp for u-joints

Consumables: rags, galvanized tie wire, 4' vaccum/fuel/windshield fluid hose, electrical tape, duct tape, wire tires, electrical wire, 2 kinds gasket material/RTV, misc. electrical ends, fuses, cotter keys (various sizes, snap rings for U-joints, WD40

This all fits in a approx 18" long tool box inside an action packer in the back of the jeep. I also carry a quart of 10w30 (and my recovery gear and a set of jumper cables).

BTW--the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter is really cool...comes from Sears and can go either way...part of their new "Companion" line of cheaper tools...ran 5.99!

My main jeep is a '74 CJ5, 305/T15/D20/D30/D44. Can you think of anything else that would be advantageous to carry besides what is listed? This list is just to take care of emergency "get me home" trail repairs.

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:28 AM
thejunker

Re: My Trail Toolkit--critique/comments please!

I used to carry a similar set of tools in my Jeep, and still do when I am on multi-day trips away from the tow rig... BUT ... I have found that even with all that, the tool I needed for the repair either was not included, or could simply be fixed with a pair of pliers, and/or a crescent wrench.

I then re-evaluated my every day kit, and came up with a list of things that could fail, where I absolutely could not drive it without repairing it.

This boiled down to radiator trouble, tire trouble, misc fluid trouble, and electrical trouble.

Keeping that in mind, I removed the majority of the hard tools from my everyday kit, and replaced them with more useful things, like stop leak, JB weld, duct tape, hose menders, tire plugs, spare brake lines, bailing wire, WD-40, spare oil, water, gear oil, etc.

I have a set of sockets, some pliers, vice-grips, and 2 crescent wrenches, and thats about it for hard tools.

Yes, there have been a couple times where it would be nice to have the EXACT tool I needed for the job, but I have gotten by with those things I have, enough to get back to the trailer to get to my big tool box.

Of course, having a trailer is a big advantage to carry spares and tools, but most of the time, the fix could wait until I get home.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:31 AM

A Jeepgod's suggestion I just added a bar of soap to the list in the upcoming events post. Use it to plug a leak in a gas tank or oil pan. Or to wash yourself after a day of play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
A Jeepgod's suggestion......... wash yourself after a day of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeepgod who???? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].........who said that?........oh wait, he's got a new girlfriend dosen't he. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you haven't already listed them (I may have missed it), hose clamps. I can't tell you how many times I've seen them needed.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have found that I carry too many tools...
my current box has the following.
tester light
1/2" drive socket set both shallow and deep from 7/16 to 1"
2 1/2" ratchets
1/4" drive socket set both shallow and deep w/ratchet
needle nose vice grips, medium vice grips, big vice grips
really big brass hammer
hack saw w/2 extra blades
big channel locks
1 5/16" socket (pitman arm nut and axle retaining tj nut)
a tie rod fork I ground at an angle.. it will remove tie rod ends or a pitman arm in a pinch
star bar (4 way)
hi-lift
grease
1 gallon gear lube
jb kwik
bar of soap (jeepgod got the idea from me...as usual)
1 quart ATF (works as designed or as steering fluid in a pinch)
2 quarts brake fluid
1 set of allen wrenches.
1 small and 1 big adjustable wrench.

I'm also spoiled and I take my die grinder and welding cables, along with welding goggles
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Power steering fluid? What is that? LOL!

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help.

The hose clamps...hadn't thought of that one...and don't take up much space.

The soap--great idea! Have rags, soap a good idea too.

Thanks again!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:47 AM

<font color="red"> </font color> TORX . You are talking about a Jeep right?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Except for the windshield hinges, my '74 is a Torx free zone!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 02:52 PM
I Do This For The Glory

In addition to the numerous tools, I also carry tire spoons, 5Ēx5Ē bias tire patches with cement, pickle fork, 5 lb hammer, torch and gas (camping propane is fine), solder, electrical connectors, misc nuts and bolts with washers, about 8í of smallish chain (make sure some of the bolts fit through the chain), oil filter, J.B. Weld Industrial, PB Blaster, spare cap, rotor, and coil; gallon gear oil (with spout), DUCT TAPE (had to repair a diff with it once), emergency fan belt, test light, RTV, spring center pins, roll pins, about 50í of 10 Ga electrical wire, and 1/8Ē aircraft cable.

Believe it or not, but I have used these items more than the standard wrenches and screwdrivers. It all fits inside 2 ammo cans I have in the back, and they arenít too large, but everything is packed so there is no extra space. I have provided the tools and supplies to repair radiators, axles, suspensions, engine parts, motor and tranny mounts, throttle cables, a half dozen tires (all on the sidewall), and enough electrical parts to wire several jeeps. Iíve also provided my oil filter 3 or 4 times, itís amazing how often the motor mounts break and take out the filter.

I take more or less depending on where Iím going and how long Iíll be there. Some of the trips we take are in the middle of nowhere, so I bring more, to include spare bearings and such.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode