To build a buggy or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

To build a buggy or not?

My buddy originally came up with this idea though has decided not to do it and i have the oppertunity to do this. Here's the plan. I have an 82 CJ7 frame and fire wall with the rear spring hangers rusted out of the cj frame. Then i have the oppertunity to get a running '80 Full size chevy with a 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear, 350, auto (is it a turbo 350 or 400?), and a t-case (any idea on what case?). I also know of an fj40 i could get for real cheep. The plan would the the cj7 frame, spring over a cj7 rears up front (i have a set on the grage floor right now), 4 link rear with xj coils (also a set in my collection of junk), 350, auto, stock chevy t-case and either the 10/12 bolts or fj40 axles, weld the diffs, build a cage, find a set of bald swampers, grove them and call it done. Then as time allows add things like fuel injection, dana 300, bead locks, and 1 tons with lower gears. Convince me to or not to go ahead with this project. If i don't build the buggy i'd probably end up putting 36's, bead locks, a front locker, a cage, 4:1 and heavy duty out put shaft in the d300, and 4.56's in the axles on my tj as money allows.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: To build a buggy or not?

Andy, would you be keeping the TJ if you built the buggy? If that is your idea, I'd say no. Think about the maintenance costs of TWO bada$$ off road vehicles. You would still be wheeling them both so you would have twice as many things to keep up on.
The buggy souds cool, but knowing your current position (goin' to skool) I think keeping the TJ trail worthy is a big enough job in itself. JMHO
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I will be keeping the tj for local wheeling up here. 99% of the wheeling up here can be done in a stock rig with out much trouble, having my tj out here makes most of the wheeling boaring. The buggy would be for wheeling hard trails and places like attic and tellico. The goal would be to get the buggy done by spring brake for a tellico run.

Barrelroll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I gotta say go buggy, that is what I am doing, but we are on diffrent sides of the work spectrum... When I was in school no way could I have afforded 1 rig let alone 2, but now I want something that can be broken down and my reansportation to work not be affected. that is why i will be going buggy when the parts god allows..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Dex
Old Hand

if it was me i'd go manual trans , then ya be in full control with the gears and i sometimes think why are race cars and big trucks - manual, cuz auto wont hold up???
just my 2 cents worth??? but 400 auto be the best cuz they put it behind big block chevy , only probs i have had with 350 turbo is leaks and no drain plug , but i once welded bolt in a pan in my '76 blazer to change the fluid and filter and drain all the water out that got threw the vent tube cuz the check valve didnt work right and modulator valve and o- ring on passenger side ( i think its acumulator ) gets flat and drips.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey you haven't been scoping out my backyard have you??? Just kidding. I have to FJ40's out back stripped down to the tub frame and axles. Word of advice on the FJ40 axles, dont do it. Coule of things to look at there. The rear is offset to the right, as is the front so you have to use to the 40 t- case or come up with something else. As for the 40's front axle, if your planning on welding it, you better get you a lot of back up berfield joints. The only way to go with them is a ARB so you can unlock when you turn you meats. Not a pleasant feeling when one shatters. I would use as much GM parts if your trying to keep it affordable!!!
I would try to find a rear D44 or at least a GM 14 bolt!!!
If you decide to do this and decide to use the 40's front axle, let me know I can hook you up with a few extra berfields or even a couple of extra complete axles......

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Old Hand

Ever heard of lockouts?
Lots of 800hp street rods run autos, you just have to have them built.

a 700R4 , th350 and th400 will all handle wheeling just fine.

My next choice will be a modified 700R4 from 700r4.com with lockouts this way I can control gear changes like a manual. So modified to handle more HP and have lockouts... no clutch to replace or worry aobut parts going out on..

Auto is my next choice..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Old Hand

Forgot to mention an auto is a hell of alot easier on your driveline than a manual.. so you`ll be breaking less axle/driveshaft parts too [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just drive the tj for the few times you actually get to wheel attica or tellico... if it breaks, the repairs will still be WAAAAAAY cheaper than building a whole new rig.
I have 2 jeeps that get wheeled a lot, and believe me... it takes more time than a student has to keep them both up.... and neither breaks a lot..it's just the maintenance..
build the tj as you have time..
I have thought of selling my tj only because its actually pretty rare I wheel trails that my wifes tj can't do.... It was very rare on the east coast...out here I've alerady done a lot of body damage to mine and I'm glad I have it.
When you really think about it...your jeep can do any trail on the east coast except lower 2 in tellico, rattle rock in windrock, and the hard one a paragon(forgot the name)..
thats 3 trails in 3 different states..all of them a LONG way from you...who cares if you gotta pull cable occasionally... [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:55 PM

Andy since I know you AND your mom I can say....GET A GRIP.
You won't be paying for it. You are in school. You need to be paying attn. to school that mom/dad is paying for. Be glad that you have a DD and a trail piece at school. Thats more than most can ask for. And now you want a buggy???? Come awnnnnnn. Even if if your last name was Turner, don't you think that it's costing them enough? Learn, learn, learn. They want you to have all the toys you want...........but for you to be able to buy them for yourself. Andy you know I like you and consider you a friend.....but ween yourself from the "teet".
(and don't make me mail this reply to Sara so she can agree with me [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode