visually, whats the diff. between ford 302 & 351 W - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

visually, whats the diff. between ford 302 & 351 W

ive got an engine ( 351windsor i was told) that was given to me (in complete running order) that im trying to work some quirks out of, seems to miss and pop alittle through the exhaust once it hits around 1500 rpm. after swapping a fresh intake and carb from a spare 351w and the usuals ( vaccum hoses, cap/rotor, coil, and plug wires w/ 351 firing order i got from a manual} the thing ran awful . so i changed the wires to fire the 302 firing order and it ran like it did before i touched it... popping and missing alittle at 1500. how can i tell for sure what engine im working on? all the pluggs slant foreward, the intake bolts are aprox. 9 3/4 " wide and the spare headers/intake i bought for a "351w" bolt on. the only thing thats throwing me is the 302 firing order. the cast reads E4AE-6015-FA17. thaks for any tip for distinguishing between a 302 and a 351
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 05:22 PM

Re: visually, whats the diff. between ford 302 & 351 W

Both look almost like twins. The easiest way to tell is that the 351 intake is over an inch wider. Thats the way I tell them apart at a glance.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Addict

Re: visually, whats the diff. between ford 302 & 3

yeah, they are the same block excluding a difference in deck height, so the only way i know is intake width.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It's very hard to tell the difference between the 302 and the 351W. The back of the intake manifold is an indication. The 302 is mainly straight, with a curve towards the end. The 351W is a big "s" curve looking thing. The 351W is about an inch wider than the 302.

The problem you might be experiencing, is that the cams will interchange. Back when it was hard to find parts for the 351w the easy fix was to put a 302 cam in, and just swap the firing order (like you are discribing).

It's impossible to know what cam you have without tearing it down. Or you could try "dead timing" the two cylinders that swap in the firing orders. That's a little bit of work, but it would give you more info on the cam..... without the tear down.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:10 PM

Oh, and the heads will swap too. It's a high performance trick to swap the winsor heads onto the 302. I thought somebody even make spacer kits to put the 302 intakes onto the 351s.

So basically your intake measurements aren't helpful.

The engines are basically the same with a different stroke (connecting rod length).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

I thought I heard someone say once that the 302 used the small sparkplugs and 5/8 socket size and the 351 used the bigger plugs 13/16. I might be wrong here, that could be the difference between the 351 Winsor and the 351 cleveland>. Sound right to anyone here. If my dad calls me tonight, I'll find out for sure, He's the big ford man in the family....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
that could be the difference between the 351 Winsor and the 351 cleveland>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close!! there are a lot od diff's between the windsor and clevelands, start with heads, exhaust manifolds, water pumps, fuel pumps, and thats at a glance, [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:36 PM

The spark plug size has more to do with the re-design during the leaded/unleaded gas swap. The newer engines have the smaller 5/8 plugs while the "old school" engines have the 13/16 plugs.

The 351 Cleveland is a totally different motor!! It only shares the displacement of the windsor motor. But the engine is a complete different design. Nothing interchanges, and if you ever see a cleveland motor (they are getting SCARCE) you'll see some funky looking slanted heads, with monster sized exhaust ports/manifolds compared to the engine size. Ther reallyis NO comparison. The cleveland was built to RUN from the factory. The 302/351w engine still had years of evolution ahead of it...........

And as was stated.... the Cleveland engine wasn't produced in the numbers that the 302/351w was, so building one is costly.........
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:44 PM

What style ignition system are you putting in this engine? What are you putting this engine in?

... I'm just trying to get a different angle on the problem.....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:41 AM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Oh, and the heads will swap too. It's a high performance trick to swap the winsor heads onto the 302.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been a while, but I thought it was the other way around and to do any real good, they need to be the Boss 302 heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode