T4 transmission pops out of gear on 2nd & 4th - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 12:26 PM
dadare

T4 transmission pops out of gear on 2nd & 4th

Got a problem with my T4 tranny on the CJ7 not snapping into gear on 2nd and 4th, and reverse also. It will go in to gear, but a good bump will pop it out. CJ is a complete restoration including the tranny which didn't require any work when tore down. Checked it out, everything looked really good. Put about 500 miles on it since the restoration, absolutely no problems, then all of a sudden this. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Old Hand

Re: T4 transmission pops out of gear on 2nd & 4th

The T-4's two piece case is pretty week. When it starts to tourque the you get slop in the secondary gear cluster. 2nd and Reverse are usually the first ones to go. Every T-4 or SR-4 (Including mine) I've ever seen ends up this way. I'd look for a good T-176 as the T-4's are junk even behind stock motors.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:54 PM

definetly sounds to me that your tub could possibly be interfering with your shifter... does your rig have a body lift? even if it doesn't, you may need to shave 1" or so away from the rear of the shifter opening... Think about it... 2nd, 4th, reverse... those are all on the bottom of the shift pattern, right? I had the exact same problem with my YJ and shaving the tub cured it...Sometimes the tub will let the tranny just *barely* go into gear... into gear well enough to where you can drive it, but a jolt will pop it out.

-pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Those were two good answers. I've experianced both the above. My SR-4 lost a bearing popped a seal and would only stay in 1st and 3rd. A new tranny and a new shifter boot were very critical of the boot placement. I think that boot was a little stiff, but all is well now.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:08 PM
dadare

Well, this one was easy. Crawled underneath tonight to take a closer look and it appears some genius decided he wanted my transmission enough to try and steal it. One side of skid plate was unbolted and hanging a couple inches causing tub to interfere with shifter. Don't know how far he got before realizing a T4 ain't worth the trouble.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:13 AM
Official Historian

Or maybe your skidplate is like mine. I have had my bolts loosen up a few times on their own. Once they came all the way out and the passenger side was hanging. What made it worse was it was on I-44. Fortunately, I was only a mile from Joplin. Now I just check them once in a while. My transmission mount bolts like to do the same.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:26 AM

Wow... you guys are lucky. My bolts like to, uh, tighten themselves and rust shut! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode