Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   5.0 swap starter dilema!!!! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/176952-5-0-swap-starter-dilema.html)

Swansonoldcj 09-20-2003 11:12 PM

5.0 swap starter dilema!!!!

hello all;
After bolting a 5.0 ho ford into my cj, with a early 70's ford bellhousing, I found out that the starter will not engage the flywheel !!!! the starter will just freewheel!! anyone been here before?
HELP!!!
thanks gas.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

IN2DEEP 09-21-2003 01:50 AM

Re: 5.0 swap starter dilema!!!!

Do you know if the starter is "kicking out" to the end of the nose cone? That little gear in the cone has to JUMP to the end of the nose cone to catch the flywheel. Is it a new/used starter? I would test it with a battery and jumper cables on the ground. Make sure it's spinning free, and that gear is sliding to the end of the starter.... THEN put it back into the motor... see what's your problem then....

Swansonoldcj 09-21-2003 09:43 AM

Yes the starter drive works fine, it is just about 1/4 inch shy of engaging the flywheel teeth. like the throw on the 5.0 new starter isn't far enough, the drive gear travels all the way out to the bushing in the nose of the starter.
thanks ,
gas
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

IN2DEEP 09-21-2003 11:17 AM

I would guess that you have an automatic starter in a manual starter bellhousing. Do you know where the starter came from?

You should ask for the starter that fits the bellhousing NOT the engine.

Swansonoldcj 09-21-2003 07:30 PM

Re: 5.0 swap starter dilemma!!!!

I got the starter to just fine by removing the top bolt and clocking it in about 1/2' and drilling and tapping a 3rd whole to mount it.
works fine now! Guess when the 5.0 needs rebuilt and I get a 348 stroker kit for it,I'll have to get the correct heavy truck flywheel!!!! so I thought a 302 was a 302 was a 5.0!!!!
I didn't realize the 5.0 H.O. motor used a much lighter flywheel, if I had known I would have gotten the flywheel with the truck bell housing, cause as far as I know all 6bolt ford blocks are internally balanced.

thanks for all the suggestions!!!

gas.
now to meld the harnesses together, OH BOY!!!!!
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]