Fluid spewing out vent on D300 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Fluid spewing out vent on D300

I was driving my Jeep the other day and got a nice burnt gear lube smell. I pulled over and the whole underside is coated in gearlube(guess I don't have to worry about rust). I popped the hood and sure enough it appears it all came from the vent tube on the firewall for the D300. I don't have anything over the vent yet, so I don't know if that is why, but what else could be causing this? The D300 is clocked flat and probably has around 1-1.5 qt's in it. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 12:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Fluid spewing out vent on D300

Wild guess, is it overfull from the tranny leaking into it? Is the tranny fluid low?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I haven't checked the tranny fluid yet, but I don't beleive it is possible for that to occur. The D300 is completely sealed on the input side. So if the tranny was overfilled, it would just leak out all over the ground, but not into the D300. Am I understanding your idea right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Am I understanding your idea right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I have a Dana 20, and there is a seal between the tranny and the transfer. (This seal looks similar to the seal on either output shaft of the transfer case.)

If this seal leaks, the tranny fluid flows into the transfer case. I've never had a 300 so I don't know if it's the same.

I would say that the easiest way to rule this out is to just check the tranny fluid.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Bornjeeper1

Jammy,
IMHO I would have to agree with the other posts about the tranny seal. Also, If I remember correctly, you did a D300 flip kit. Could this be contributing to the cause of the fluid spewing? Are there special modifications required to prevent the fluid from rising too high with that setup? Just a thought.

William Dickson [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I guess I'm just not understanding, but how could my tranny seal being bad cause the fluid to get into the D300 when the D300 is completely sealed? I'm not doubting it coudl happen, just don't quite understand. Also, in the end I decided to stick with a normal D300 setup and switched the front axle out to a passenger side case, so no flipkit was installed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Fluids from the tranny and the t-case can flow from one to the other if the seals are bad. I don't know what tranny you are running. I'm running a T-176 with a D300. In the rear face of the factory adapter, there is a cavity. When I separated the D300 from the tranny, the cavity was dry and so was the front of the D300. So, the D300 is sealed and the tranny has a seal that the nose of the D300 female spline slips into.

Even if both seals went bad, the cavity would have to fill before any fluids flowed from one to the other. Even if the fluids were to flow from one to the other, I couldn't see it being a problem. I'd have to measure, but I think both fill plugs are at about the same level. Even if one leaked into the other, since neither case is full, I can't see it getting pumped out the vent tube.

I'm hoping you are mistaken about it coming out of the vent tube. Clean it all up and see where it's coming from for sure. If it's truly coming out of the tube the only thing I can think of is that water got in the tube and completely filled the t-case. It's not a good thought. Pull the fill plug and see if anything comes out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I'm running an AX15. I haven't yet seperated the two to see if there is any fluid in between, so I guess I should do that next.

As for me being mistaken about where it's coming from, I garuntee I am not. I popped the hood and gear lube had run down the firewall directly under the vent. I guess it's possible there is gear lube coming from somewhere else, but that chance is almost zero.

My D300 is clock flat, so the current fill plug is of no use to me as far as checking levels. I basically have to guess as to how much fluid to put in it Do you know how much it needs when it's clocked flat? Currently I'm running around 1.5 quarts. Also, since it's clocked, and running less gearlube than a normal D300, the idea of both the tcase and tranny having the same amount does not apply.

Any other ideas anyone? I was thinking that maybe since the vent is on the tailshaft housing, and since I have a 1" motor mount lift, maybe more fluid is at the back of the case and at higher speeds gets forced out. This possible? I was thinking of relocating the vent onto the top of the D300. Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks for your help guys! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 11:54 PM
Dex
Old Hand

TAZ what do i do i put in a t-15 and a danna 20???
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Um....what? Shouldn't you maybe start a "new" thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode