Dual Battery Wiring, not to beat a dead horse - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Dual Battery Wiring, not to beat a dead horse

Folks,
Let me start by saying I did the search! I know this has been covered but I have some specific questions regarding dual battery wiring.
For more than 4 years I ran 2 red tops, with a continuous hold soleniod. One of my red tops finally died, and I have replaced it with a Yellow top (for winching and off-road accessories).
First question:
With a red and a yellow top, can I run a similair set-up. IE Continuous Hold Soleniod, oil pressure switch, and an over ride switch without damaging either battery? One deep cycle the other not.
Second question:
I my search I found CJDaves reference to a perfect dual battery wiring set-up from CJJOE. I was unable to find any wiring schema from that reference. Does anyone/CJDAVE have a copy of that set-up?
Third question:
Other than the standard, Hellroaring, painless, blah blah...does anyone have a tried and true wiring set-up that I am over looking. My goal is to isolate the batteries, (no $30.00 surepower, NAPA isolator commments please) charge both batteries, and possibly have a self jump option, at the same time I want it as simple, trouble free, and basic as I can make it.
I appreciate any help you can lend,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Dual Battery Wiring, not to beat a dead horse

1. I prefer solid state isolation, but you could do this:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Way Outta Control

For the simplest and most trouble free - but you have to remember once in awhile --

Hook them up both together - then use quick disconnects on the ground (-) sides.

Leave one disconnected for a week or two, then hook up the other ground and disconnect the first one. Alternating between them occasionally keeps both charged.
Then if one fails, simply swith to the other.
If you need extra power, hook up both grounds so they are in parallel for double the power.

By disconnecting the ground cable, you don't have a hot cable dangling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I haven't been on the board in a while. It's good to see some of the old gurus still around. Thanks for the quick responses!
Just a point of clarification.
In switch position off, the batteries are isolated, but still receiving a charge, correct?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, CJ& MORE, we ran a deep cycle marine battery plus one additional std battery as a second battery group for YEARS in our service trucks that had the big electric swinging boom and winch setups on them. We used the continuous-hold solenoid, a Hobbs oil pressure switch, and a push button over ride for emergency cranking if we somehow let the truck battery run down. The alternator didn't seem to care if we had different types of batteries since they were never connected unless charging was in process. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The different battery type thing; when used under the correct conditions; is a non-issue. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] CJ Joe's setup was a duplicate of what we had and what you were running on the MORE Jeep. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode