HELP outboard spring and shackle reversal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

HELP outboard spring and shackle reversal

I am trying to think of a way to do a shackle reversal at the same time I do my outboard spring mounts. The mounts I made for normal shackle position are no good, so back to the drawing board.

My problem is, from my rough calcs, (no jeep to break out a tape measure on) By doing a shackle reversal I need to either drop down the front hanger by roughly 4-5 inches as well as raise the rear by the same in order to my leafpack in the same spot. Bear with me here, I could see doing that up front, but when it comes time to do the rear, I would have to have my shackle mount near the top edge of the frame. Don't seem like it will work....
So I was kicking around the idea of flipping the shackles as well. Now totally ignoring the fact that I have to fab a mount to allow a flipped shackle to run without binding *AND* not bust off the jeep first time I flex it, I still don't see how I have enough clearance between bottom of tub and top of shackle.
See crude (and I mean CRUDE) sketch.

I am really wanting to make this shackle reversal work, but I must be missing something REALLY obvious here. How do you get a reversal without totally screwing up the elevation of your spring pack???? I am using 1" longer than stock shackles, but still.... DOes anybody have any pics of a completed outboard mount AND shackle reversal?? ie allready attached to the jeep??

Or just dope slap me and tell me to outboard the springs and worry about the reversal later!
THanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1189715-sketch.jpg (24.9 KB, 61 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 05:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: HELP outboard spring and shackle reversal

well mine is not outboard.. but its a schakle reversal.. and might give you some ideals... you dont have to worry about the rear.. just weld up a piece of angle iron or something to the frame.. and weld or bolt on your front stock hanger.. and run a schakle back there.. granted youll need a shorter one.. so just sell those lift things anyways.... as for the front.. yes.. its something like 5.5" inches for stock.. i shortened mine.. since i didnt want all that crap hanging down... so i lost alittle lift.. but oh well..

here is the rear.. this wouldnt work for you.. since you are outboarding.. but maybe give you an ideal or something..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 07:38 AM
Official Historian

How about using some Chevy rear spring hangers? Both front and shackle hanger mount to the side of the frame and the shackle hanger is for a tension shackle too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thats the problem I keep finding, I don't want bunch of stuff hanging way down off the bottom of the jeep.
As for the shackles, I broke the sheesy stock ones, the new ones I am running are an inch longer, but bombproof. I could always shorten them, I wouldn't mind that at all I guess.

Could someone confirm that the outboard mounts are two inches center to center further out per side?? (from narrow track CJ to stock scout II dana 44)

I am almost thinking I would have *just enough* room to run my shackle in the rear, outboard of the frame. Maybe too close for comfort, but I think it will fit....

Thanks for the pic, its good to see one that is complete.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Ive actually never crawled under a chevy, but what years am I looking for (86 and older, or the newer ones???)

THanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Official Historian

I think any of them. Also look at ford and dodge pickups. They all mount their rear springs similar.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey Pat, do you have any concerns about the shackles rubbing on the frame? rubbing thru over time?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for starting this post.

I have been wondering the exact same thing. I want to put a Waggy 44 in my CJ7 and use the stock waggy springs SOA w/shackle reversal. I couldn't figure out what to do on the rear hanger since it will be outside the frame rail. I am now thinking that you can just make a T shaped bracket to bolt the front hanger to. How do you determine the height of the new front hanger? I assume that the height will have an effect on your overall caster.

Thanks,
Tom
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

This is by far a crude method (a better one would be to take a jeep as it sits with its current setup and take some measurements to know where you need to end up) but I can't get at my jeep at the moment so I used the cj5 frame dimension picture and did some rough guestimation and then flipped ends and figured where the hangers needed to be when its all said and done. The more I look at it, the more I realize that I *NEED* to have the jeep in my yard to get this to work out correctly!

But as far as a rough guess, on my CJ5 if I do a shackle reversal, the front hanger needs to drop roughly 5" or so and the rear needs to be raised by about the same. It looks as though the shackle will be nearly in the tub. (Maybe it will be different when I get the jeep home and take a close look)

As jeepgod posted earlier though, a shackle reversal on non-outboarded springs is sorta simple. Here is the frame dimension thing I used too, I am not sure how accurate it is, but thats where I pulled all my numbers from and added a couple rough guesses as far as spring hanger heights and such.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1190277-cj5frame.jpg (68.4 KB, 60 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

no concerns at all... the problem i had ran into was.. i switched out those springs in the pic (front yj) ones.. with a set of rear cj springs.. which are longer by about an inch.. so the spring ended up rubbing on the bottom of the frame.. was really no big deal.. and at full compression the shackles would hit the frame mount bracket... but a grinder took care of that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode