Where did that come from? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Where did that come from?

I dropped the cross member yesterday so I could take off the front driveshaft.
After lowering the cross member to the ground I see that there is a ujoint strap sitting on the upper side of the member. My first thought was that my front driveshaft was hanging on with one strap. But all straps were in place.
Last time that member was off was 2.5 years ago and someone else did it. I guess that strap must have been there since.
Weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:34 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Where did that come from?

1. Several years ago I pulled the tub on the CJ.
2. After a few months of welding, frame repair and welding,
3. It was back on the street sans the Driver's side lower door hinge tub plate.
4. After driving it about three days I was doing 15mph through town...
5. And heard something fall off the Jeep...
6. It was the hinge plate... I'd left on the top of the frame...
7. Though I was glad to find it...
8. I hate it when something confirms I'm dumber than a box of rocks..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I heard something slide off my roof many years ago.
I looked in the rear view mirror and there was my brand new suit in its suitbag laying in the middle of the street.
I don't put things on the roof anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:31 AM

Several years ago I took a road trip to Idaho from Kansas to visit family. On the way I stopped in western Nebraska for gas and forgot to put the cap on. Next time I stopped for gas, I realized this, and went to the nearest auto parts store and got a replacement. Several months later I started to hear this strange, intermintant rattle comming from the back end. The missing gas cap had fallen down between the spare and the talegate, and had been riding there most of the winter.
DUH!!
I put my cap on the brake light when I get gas now... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:33 AM

Once I set the Jeep gas cap on the spare tire, filled the tank, and drove off down the Interstate. When I got home 120 miles later I noticed the bare filler neck. I found the gas cap between the tire and back window, resting comfortably on the spare tire carrier.

In a similar vein, when I cleaned out my '85 Volvo before getting rid of it a few months ago, I was looking for a pair of reading glasses. I groped around very carefully under the seats, and found an almost-empty half-pint of cheap vodka. We bought the car when it was six months old, and that bottle must have been under the driver's seat for 18 years and 250,000 miles.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:41 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Several years ago while working as a police officer I was called to a supermarket. The manager had a woman's wallet with an out-of-state address inside. Also inside was a large sum of cash. I took possession of the wallet, contacted the out-of-state police agency in the woman's hometown, and locked the wallet in our evidence locker. Within two hours I received a frantic call from the lady reporting the loss of her wallet, id's, cash, etc. She was about 75 miles down the road when she stopped for gas and discovered her wallet missing. She had stopped at the supermarket to pick up some items and placed the wallet on top of her car while unlocking it and putting her purchases inside. Her return trip was much quicker than her trip out of town. Happy ending.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:44 PM

One time I was working on my old Suzuki in my brothers driveway (I lived in his basement at the time).

I put the cordless phone on the hood near the windshield so I would know if/when anyone called.. The phone was white and so was my rig.

later in the day I had to go get some bolts at the hardware store and didn't realize until I got back and drove over the broken apart phone in the road that I knew what happened.

I had to buy him a new phone. Expensive lesson.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 01:48 PM

Staying in the phone category....just recently i did some work to my parents volvo.... pulled the cowl, etc, fixed the wiper linkage... i'd set my cell phone on the roof of the car. then, of course, i made a run to the parts store, forgetting compeltely about my cellphone. by the time i realized what i'd done, and backtracked through all of the roads i'd driven on (2 hours later...) I finally found my phone, in the middle of cicero avenue (large, busy street here in chicago,) COMPLETELY INTACT. I guess the thousands of cars all missed it.

Lesson learned.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was doing brakes on my "wifes" explorer. She put the cordless phone and her Nextel ($300)phone on the rear bumper next to my bottle of water.

Done doing the brakes I told her to go get her keys so we can take it for a ride. I saw the phones and my water and told myself to remind her to take her phones.

1/4 mile down our stone driveway, 2 miles down a busy road, back to the house. We got out of the truck and she says... "did you take my phone off the truck".... Gulp....

At that point I remember being on the road and hearing a noice... Both phones were still on the bumper, Lost my water. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thank god.

Another time I had my cordless phone on my CJ while working on it. I had it on the cowl. Drove down the street, came back. I heard my phone ringing about 20ft away from where I was working. Kinda freaked me out...

I was working on my GMC blazer and had the exhausted removed from the manifolds. I dropped a socket and there it went. A year or two later I changed the cat, I found my socket.. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I used to be big into radio controlled airplanes and have two of them. I would go to a place that was 50 miles from my house and had to take some major highways. Not once, but twice I loaded up my planes and had set the radio on top of the Volvo (with a roof rack). Both times after pulling in the driveway I'd get out and see it sitting there. I couldn't believe it didn't fall, and those things aren't cheap!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode