O/T I think we all have a friend like this. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T I think we all have a friend like this.

I was on my way outta work tonight and i was talking to my friend that works graves. He's one of these guys that will fix/work on everyone elses vehicle while his own sits.(he got a Scout....kinda redundant..haha). He was complaining that no one ever calls him and says 'hey i got a case of beer help me drink it.' It's always " I just got a 5.5" RE ED lift, help put it in?" When everyone's car/truck/jeep/golf cart breaks its 'call rob..he probably knows whats wrong'. And just like a friend/sucker he says 'Why does everyone come to me with their broke s$%t!'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Old Hand

Re: O/T I think we all have a friend like this.

Yea, mine's name is Jdoggmoney [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Although I at least through in the case of beer. His help is always appreciated. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] to friends (and their power tools).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 04:13 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thanks buddy......... OK what did ya break and not tell me about? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 04:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] If there is anything I've learned in sixty years it is that there are GIVERS [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], and there are TAKERS [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Figuring out which one someone might be is one of the difficulties of life. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I know guys who systematically PRETEND that they know absolutely nothing about machinery [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] and by doing so have saved THOUSANDS of dollars in repair work when others step up and "help" them for free; and of course since they "don't know anything about machinery" they aren't on the "help" list when anyone else has a nasty repair job. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] The TAKERS are always busy with "critical family matters" when it comes time to help someone move, or dig out for a patio. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] So the TAKERS kick back and enjoy being a leech without EVER letting it bother them. The TAKER system works for vehicle repairs AND in many other areas as well. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm a fairly capable individual and some folks know it, so I have to be careful about letting someone take advantage of me like that. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Trading work is one thing.....working for nothing for a "TAKER" [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] is quite a different story, so if your buddy is working for nothing, then he needs to recognize who the "TAKERS" are [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and stop "enabling" them to do what they do best, and that is TAKE FROM OTHERS. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] When it comes to Jeep stuff, I have always operated on the premise that: "I'ts OK to deposit in BANK 'A' and withdraw from BANK 'B'". In other words if you give your spare alternator to a fellow Jeeper so he can get his rig home after a hard weekend; and then a week later someone gives you his trailer spare to replace the one you DIDN'T HAVE, and that YOU needed to get home; then that's an OK thing. Jeep people are usually GIVERS, and there are fewer TAKERS per square inch in the Off-Road community than in the general population. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] GIVERS DON'T TRY TO KEEP TRACK of who helped who, depending instead on the bank A bank B thing to balance itself out.....which it usually does. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:27 AM

Exactly right.

I don't believe in the hippie concept of Karma, that there's some kind of universal goodness bank and a master banker/scorekeeper.

But I do think that there is something about givers and takers that is universally recognizable. You can identify some people as givers, and know that helping them is a good thing. And you recognize some as takers and know to steer clear. And there are a few con artists who make a living by fooling our recognition software.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Addict

yeah i think i'm that friend. i like to help ppl out, figuing it will come back to me one way or another. i don't keep track, just go on faith.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:30 AM
Way Outta Control

1. It's better to be a friend like that,
2. Than to have one like that...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

Our local club has a member like that. Everyone calls him to come over to his place and have a lift party, or someother kind of party, depending on what they need fixed. I've never known him to say no to anyone, and this is while his axles sit in his garage waiting. I want to see how many club members show up when he actually gets some time away from fixing other peoples junk to work on his upgrades. I, for one, will be there. I'm totally in agreement with bank A / bank B theory.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:09 AM

I know how he feels, I am the only member of our club with any kind of shop. I do a lot of stuff for other members, some of them will get in and help. but then their is the one I have done a few things for but when I ask one thing of him and he does not show up or even call.
and when it's time to re-fill my tanks, or buy some more rod I don't see any of them stepping up. I don't want to charge but I could use a box of rod or a fith of jack once in a while.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh, we show up at his place with a case a beer and start working on our stuff. Then take a break and screw around. Then go back to work. Argue over how its "supposed" to go together.haha. His garage is the "if I dont have it then you dont need it". His D60 sat in pieces while he did a motor swap on my bosses CJ. Of course we push his Scout back into the driveway and scratched our heads while we tried to figure out how to put those axles in. We figured it out...and yes, its supposed to look that way.haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode