add a hydro clutch?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Dex
Old Hand

add a hydro clutch??

in my cj5 running 350 chevy with some sort of adaptor to tranny , is there a way, (hopefuly easy) to change it over to hydrolic cluch, the one i have in is very strong and stiff and after a 20mile ride, my left leg still almost cramps up for almost a week., few stop signs few red lights, ya know town driving! it be worse in woods i bet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 01:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: add a hydro clutch??

what's up? i have an 83 cj7 with a 350 and i had to completely reinstall my hydro clutch because the jeep one wasn't strong enough. first of all, you have to change the bellhousing from the engine to the tranny to a hydraulic clutch one. i have no idea how much this costs. the hydro and mechanical bellhousings are different. then you have to purchace a number of things to install it. first you have to purchase a master clutch cylinder and affix it to the inside of your firewall, lining up with the pushrod that comes with it to somewhere on your clutch pedal. then you have to get the slave cylinder (the one that pushes the lever in the bellhousing) that matches the bellhousing. then i think you have to buy a new lever that pushes the clutch plate away when the slave cylinder pushes. after you get all of this installed, you have to connect the two together. you can't connect them with rubber (or at least i don't recommend it) and make yourself a new clutch line. i used 1/4 in metal pipe and a pipe bender with some pressure couplings (it's not pretty, but it works) so now my entire clutch system is chevy. but again, i installed mine from the existing jeep holes and setup so i had something to go on. then you have to bleed it and get the fluid through the system, this part was horrible. it took two people and some strong arms to get this one to work. i'm sure there's a better way, but us artillery guys aren't that smart, and we're deaf, too.

i don't know if this thing helps you at all and if i just told you what you know, i'm sorry. i did the whole jeep thing in my driveway and a lot of it was learn as you go. if you have any questions on how to do it or just want to tell me that i'm a pain, shoot me a message or an email.

hope i've been any help at all!

good luck if you do it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 04:10 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You don't "have" to have a hydralic clutch bell housing. General420 and I did a SM465 swap into his already 350 equiped CJ5. Used the standard Chevy bellhousing and factory Jeep hydralic clutch. I have seen recently that you can buy the complete hydralic clutch assembly for under $200.00. I'll get with general and we'll try to take somepics of the bracket we made for the slave cylinder and other adaptations. All said and done, the clutch has worked well since the swap and doesn't seem to bind at all. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 05:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I'm going to take a slightly different tack here and declare that going to a hydraulic clutch is not a good idea. If you have the mechanical linkage, then it CAN be made to work right. Speaking from the standpoint of a person who has owned NINE.....count them......NINE Chev-Lay pickups......most with the SM465 tranny......I KNOW those clutches, and what I do is take the BRAND NEW twelve-spring Borg & Beck pressure plate.....also called a clutch cover.....and I flop it down on the welding table and I take the torch and I cut one spring out of each group which leaves me NINE springs or what we used to call 75% BEEF. Believe me when I tell you I have hung those 350 powered trucks on some horrible grades with the 350 just absolutely maxed out, and have started some terrific loads with those clutches that have just the nine springs. Before I began cutting them in the late 80's, I had the same problem with my leg shaking at a long red light, and I also got tired of the clutch linkage breaking. I had a pedal drop off in the cab; I broke fulcrums, I bent rods and throwout forks, it was horrible. A twelve-inch twelve spring clutch is capable of holding a BIG POWERFUL TRUCK ENGINE, and you don't need it in a Jeep. Cut that baby! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Oh.......and one more thing......that excess clutch disengagement pressure at those long red lights.......it is wearing out the center main bearing in that engine; you know the one, the one that holds the crankshaft END THRUST. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Dex
Old Hand

thanks for all the help, dave and jdog might be thinking like i want, but still send all ideas , tired of my leg shaking at long red light!!!
DEX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode