Help - YJ Steering Column - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Help - YJ Steering Column

I've taken apart my column on my YJ to try to replace the turn signal stem which has been sheared off at the base. I have always had a loose wheel and now I know why. The PO took it apart to replace the ignition switch and failed to guess at the correct order of pieces when putting it back together. The spring was on the outside of the lock plate, etc. Is there a diagram or breakout of the individual components and the order they should be returned. Perhaps a scan out of a FSM? Haynes and Chilton don't seem to do it justice. Any help would be appreciated. My option is to go down to the U-Pull-It yard and take one of theirs apart which is in the correct configuration. Hate to risk losing someone elses column.

Thanks as always,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Re: GM Steering Column Diagram

Okay, I'm good getting the wheel off, its between these two illustrations that I'm confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Help - YJ Steering Column

1. My guess is that you've not read this...Ray's semi-posterior method for fixing a loose tilt column
2. It will give you a very good breakdown on column repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey LEVE,

That is a great link. I believe it is for fixing a tilt column that is loose at the tiliting mechanism. I had the same problem on my '89 Chevy truck. The whole upper section of the column would move side to side about 1/2".

Later,
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Once again, thanks Larry, that helps a lot.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Spent four hours on Saturday working on this bad boy and still have no clue what some of these [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] parts are in the column.

The entire turn signal/stem unit has been replaced. I now have wipers (with delay), left/right and high beams.

I replaced the canceler and turn signal components and now have hazards as well.

Getting it all back together has been the pain. I pulled two columns at the junk yard to get the parts I needed and paid close attention to how it all came out. I am left with a part I don't recognize and tons of slop in the upper steering shaft bearings. Something must be missing that presses the race into the shaft and stiffens up the center shaft.

First, (pardon the crayon drawing) what is this part and why was the spring shoved into it and the rounded off end pushed against the bearings race? See attachment

Help!

Also can't get the wheel to push all the way back on. Only a couple of turns on the nut and its tight as can be but still far from the coller.

suggestions please. I need to be able to move this bugger with something other than a vice grip! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1191368-part.jpg (27.8 KB, 40 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:28 PM

That piece is what preloads the upper bearing it goes on before the spring with the open end toward the bearing, rounded end toward spring. (see attachment)

Did you mark the steering wheel before you pulled it off? If not look for line up marks, hopefully it's allready marked (line on shaft, dot on wheel). Also make sure you have the horn ring lined up.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1191397-steercol2.jpg (90.6 KB, 66 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Shazam! Thats the type of diagram I have been looking for! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] The PO must have flipped the piece upside-down and as a result the spring popped inside it. That explains a lot. As for marking the wheel.... it was never marked when they put it back on so I have no idea if it was right to begin with. Any trick to determining the orientation? Is there an odd number of splines in one spot on the shaft and on the wheel?

Thanks [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode