Silly bumper thoughts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

Silly bumper thoughts

I was talking to a mechanic friend about what I was doing to finish off my bumper. And he came up with the idea of putting some short very heavy duty shocks on the bumper this would cushion the blow. I told him that it probably wouldn't work too well. I guess it doesn't matter, I'm not going to do that anyway, seems kinda pricey, and not as sturdy.

The other idea he came up with, was to put a couple of hydraulic rams on the front bumper so that if the road you are on is overgrown, you could extend the bumper away from the vehicle to push the brush / overgrowth down. I don't know, I think he might be watching too much Monster Garage.

Anyway, just a couple of silly ideas I thought I'd share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 03:36 PM

Re: Silly bumper thoughts

70's cars had shock absorbers between the heavy chrome bumpers and the frame rails. They worked quite well to absorb an impact without bending anything. I think they used to call them 5 mph bumpers or something like that. I think it's a shame that todays cars have bumpers that cost $1,500.00 or more to refinish from light impact. What's the point of a bumper as fragile and expensive as the rest of the car?

The movable bumper is an interesting idea. You can acheive no loss of approach angle and still protect the grill if you keep the bumper high, and protect the grill with a hoop that angles away from the bumper.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 04:17 PM

Re: Silly bumper thoughts

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think it's a shame that todays cars have bumpers that cost $1,500.00 or more to refinish from light impact.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well the insurance companys raised so much hell about paying out for damages that the big strong bumpers did.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think they used to call them 5 mph bumpers or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats exactly what they were called, anything over 5 miles an hour and you totaled your bumper and shocks.

The real reason this has changed is due to the damages and death tolls the large strong bumpers were leaving behind in crashes. According to the national safety council.

Oh! the first production 5mph bumper appeared on the 72 year models
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode