Busted Bolt...need suggestions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Geno

Busted Bolt...need suggestions

Ok I threw a U-joint driving to work last week. It was the rear U-joint on the rear shaft. Took the shaft out and drove home on the front. A quick glance told me that one of the screws on the differential side had backed out causing the strap to come off. I got the parts, put the joint in the drive shaft and when I went to put it back in I noticed the bolt didn't back out but broke off. It's busted flush with the yoke coming out of the diff. I was thinking of JB weld and a metal tab then just back it out by hand. Seems like there's an easier way than drilling and tapping it. Anyone have ideas/ suggestions?

Thnx
Geno

It's Dana 35 BTW

OK Thanks for the easy-out suggestion, and the LH drill bits...The only prob is I live in Germany (in the Air Force) and can't just run down to Ace Hardware. Looks like I'll stick with the original plan...redneck ingenuity. A drill, a Gerber mulit tool and a case of beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:12 AM
jumpinNrollin

Re: Busted Bolt...need suggestions

I had the same thing happen several times. I drilled out the bolt and used an easy-out to get it out. I then drilled all the holes to remove the threads and replaced the straps with u-joint bolts from Napa. Never had a problem since. Hope this works for you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:33 AM

That's probably the best way to go, but to get the broken bolt out, try a left-hand drill bit if you can find one. MyMSC.com is a good place if you can wait a day.

LH bits usually will back out a broken bolt on their own - no easyout required. If it doesn't get it out you have a hole for the easyout.

Easyouts can cause problems if the bolt is a little stuck because ,as they dig into the hole, they spread the bolt and jam it in tighter. Always go with a smaller easyout than your first choice, but be REAL careful not to break it. Then you have a really tough situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Don't think you need the LH drill bit on this one, Jim. At least on mine, the holes go all the way through so you can drill it out with a RH from the back. Of course that means removing the yoke, but I think you are going to have to do that anyway. Usually one of the bolts comes loose and the other snaps off. The loose bolt does not back all the way out and drop out before the one on the other side snaps. So, the loose one takes the last few threads with it when it pulls out. Bottom line is I expect you are going to have to remove the yoke anyway and either replace it or do the u-bolt upgrade.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 AM

just go buy a set of easy-outs......your probably going to use them down the road again if you wrench on your own stuff.....just my 2 cents

later
john [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode