axle swap- - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 01:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

axle swap-

need advice.. what would be the best (most economical and easiest) junk yard swap to dana 44 from a dana 35 rear in an 88 yj? i have found info online that is a foreign language to me.. and in my small town a girl talking to the guys at the salvage yard gets absolutely no help (frustrating!).. can any gentlemen out there explain it in "blonde girl" terms? just need to know what my best bets are...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:56 AM
Old Hand

Re: axle swap-

For a YJ, I'd go with an 8.8" rear from a Ford Explorer or Ranger. They're equally as strong, can be had with factory rear disc brakes, same width, and you keep the 5 x 4.5 lug pattern that your front axle has (Dana 44 has either 5 x 5.5 or 6 x 5.5). Do a search. There's a lot of people on this board that have done the swap, and it's pretty straight forward. Good luck. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 04:02 AM

1. there is no such thing as a bolt in Dana 44 from a junk yard.all axles will require welding.

2. bolt in units can be bought $2200-$2700. ready to go.

3. the YJ has leaf spring, so almost any axle with a close to centered differential and the right width can be swapped in with just alitle bit of welding and grinding.

quick list:
XJ Dana 44: closest fit, but rare.
explorer 8.8: it is narrow,but fits
FSJ Dana 44: wider, rims have wrong bolt pattern
Isuzu Dana 44: ????
scout Dana 44: bolt pattern, ++++
EBronco 9 inch: bolt pattern, ++++

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

isuzu d44 rear - right bolt pattern, will come in gear ratios 4.10/4.33 sometimes with a locker and disc brakes

ford 8.8 rear - right bolt pattern, not sure on gears.. im not a yj person...

i think those would be your best bet.. no bolt ins.. the ford 8.8's can be found in the explorer's.. so they should be a dime a dozen.. while the isuzu was in the rodeo... alittle harder to find and slightly more expensive..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

8.8 out of an explorer or sport track, you are looking for the 31 spline shafts. Mustangs and Rangers came with 29 spline. Post 97's came with disc brakes. You can generaly find an axle in a junk yard for less than $650. M.O.R.E. has a kit that includes the weld on bracket, spring plates, U-bolts and shock mounts. M.O.R.E also has the driveshaft flange to convert the 8.8 to a 1310 joint (I have an extra one of these, will sell cheap). 8.8 came in gears including: 3.07, 3.55, 3.73 (with LS), 4.10 (with LS), and I have heard that there were some 4.88's.

Since you have the axle out and are welding the perches on, it may be a good time to set up a SYE and a CV driveshaft, welding the perches so that they point the diff up towards the t-case (instead of flat).

If you need more info on this I have several links to people who have done it and I recently did the swap.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Old Hand

Jeepgod, My wife drives a Passport (Honda Rodeo), and it has six lug wheels. Did they make 5 lug Izuzu 44's? If so, all I need to know is how to change the flange to a standard yoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode