Twin head York compressors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Twin head York compressors

Has anyone ever used on of those monsterous V-twin head York compressors for OBA ? I've seen them in the junkyard and they are huge. They must put out a lot of volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 01:43 AM

Re: Twin head York compressors

Seen a couple of the Chrysler V-twins used...

I dunno exactly what they put out, but I think it's about double.. about 15-20 CFM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:21 AM

Anybody got a pic of these badboys? is the mounting pattern the same as a normal York? What did they come on?
That sucker would outperform my 60 gal. garage compressor! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Now yew boys wouldn't be a-mistakin' a CHRYSLER AIR-TEMP vee compressor for a YORK would yew? Don't yew go a-thinkin' that jus' because thars more cylinders, that you are gonna have yerself more CUBIC INCHES. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] As you know, the BIG problem with Yorks as an A/C compressor is the cut-in shock load to the drive system. They are murder on belts and on idlers. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Chrysler.....in their infinite 1950's wisdom....... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]boy, would I like to have THOSE DAYS back,......[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]...where right was still, well,..RIGHT [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]..........made a compressor that was a lot more subtle when the electric clutch cut in by making the VEE configuration. They may or may not be more cubic inches, since the demands of A/C in a Chrysler were not necessarily greater from a system flow standpoint that a Ferd or GM. Actually, the upright Yorks are great OBA units and because the vehicle isn't at freeway speed, cut-in torqe shock is irrelevant. The Yorks weigh less and are easier to mount up as well. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:13 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have a Chrysler compressor, but itís not installed yet due to the V-8 swap. Iíll grab some pics next to one of the Yorks I have laying around. It puts out about 14 cfm and yes, it is massive.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:31 AM

Dave I think you are correct about the York/Air Temp confusion. Unless they snuck one in on me I have never seen a "V" configuration on the York compessor line. As to the Chrysler air temp though ,, now that was a unit!!! I have made a lot of home air comperssors out of that one over the years. Also haven't seen one in a few years as well. Those were big and heavy, but could move some air. Any BIG BOAT Chrysler of the 50's and 60's could have one lurking under the hood. HEHE ,,, even the little slant 6's could be found with this unit stuck on the front of it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

So what I saw was a York-lookin' Chrysler? Are they like a dual stage for pressure or just for volume?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm pretty sure they were parallel.......two-cyl, single stage. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hey there Jeep-"N"......guess who I think about buddy, EVERY TIME I reach down and snick that FS GM into 2WD Low? Yep....I think about the help I got from you when we created that coolest-imaginable NP 205 transfer case two-stick conversion. I am AMAZED at how much I use the 2WD Low.....if I have to drop off the road into a field I reach down and snick it into Lo Range, and sometimes on these dirt roads 3rd-Direct is too high and 4th-Under is just perfect. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:44 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Good to hear from you Dave, glad everything is going well. Iím stuck in a time warp up here, it seems to fly by some days and others it drags. One of these days Iím going to get out that way.

Well, here are the pics, better late than never

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode