CJ7 Auto slamming in gear??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 10:40 PM
CJ Bob

CJ7 Auto slamming in gear???

My son purchased a 78 CJ7 304, Automatic, Quadratrack and when you put it into gear especially reverse it sounds like it is going tear the hell out of everything. We have a lockrite in the rear which accounts for some of the slack, but there seems to be some slack in the transfer case too (about a quarter a turn). the idle is set as low as possible (appr. 650). Could this be caused from the slack or is it something in the tranny. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJ7 Auto slamming in gear???

If you are getting a quarter turn out of the Q-Track T-case, the chain is probably stretched beyond it's service life. These are great cases, but they do require some maint. Talk to CJDave about them, he is the resident expert.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:50 AM

swap that chain before it takes the case with it, if its that Loose.

Ask "WILL" on here as well as CJDAVE

I have actually seen WILL fix a Qtrack on teh trail with a flashlight, pocketknife and a used gum wrapper.

and maybe some wrenches and other tools too, but he knows , ask him!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, there are a couple of places that slack can come from, especially if the Jeep has the QT Low Range Unit. The chain is the first suspect, but the low range unit can also get sloppy. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] We are seriously considering a setup on our TH-400 that will momentarily by-pass oil when you first put in forward or reverse gear and ease the bands in a little slower. That will save a lot of spilled coffee. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You need to get about replacing that chein before it breaks and wads up in the corner of the case and destroys the Quadra-Trac. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] WILL should see your post and respond as well. He's a QT guy as was mentioned, and we'll see what he says about this; but it's a chain-replacement job at the least......no big deal, so don't be bum-kicked about this and let it dampen your Jeep entthusiasm. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Official Historian

Actually, mine sounds like that too. Didn't make a difference if the chains were new or already jumping sprockets. If you floor it from a stop and don't hear any racheting, you're not ready for a chain swap yet. As dave mentioned, with the low range unit, there is just a lot of slack in the driveline. I've heard that the coarse spline output shaft from the transmission can wear causing more slack. 1/4 turn doesn't sound bad to me. Everytime I shift into drive it sounds like the u-joints are going to grenade but I've got 192k miles on the original transfer case with just new chains.

Actually, the trail fix on the transfer case was with a flashlight, pocket knife, 3/8" wrench and a piece of fuel line. My vacuum shifter quit working so I took off the top cover over the shifter and manually locked the differential. Then I wedged a piece of fuel line in there to hold the shift fork over. Another time in 1999, I had to do it on the side of hwy 60 one night around Republic when it did the same thing. I didn't have the front driveshaft on so I needed it locked.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:22 PM
CJ Bob

Thanks for the input, I'm a manual and Dana 300 guy myself. One neat thing we did do to this Q-Track was to build us an air actuated shifter since we had onboard air. did away with the vaccum which was nothing but a pain.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Now you're talkin'......air on the QT.....sounds like the splitter in a 13-Speed Fuller Roadranger. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:50 AM
Official Historian

Converting to pressurized air is not a bad idea. The problem with the shifter the last time I has problems was that since I run with it locked most of the time, the vacuum is on the front of the diaphram. There is not much of a seal between the diaphram and the transfer case and I sucked in enough oil to keep it from shifting once I shifted it out of lock. The air pressure would solve that problem too.

I wonder if the air injection pump could produce enough air to take care of that?

Of course, I'd have to find one since I sold mine years ago.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Old Hand

It probably wouldn't be that hard to fab a mechanical linkage with a cable to replace the vac assembly.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Official Historian

No, but with no seal between the inner shaft and outer shaft, it would be difficult to use the stock shifter. Another plus to using compressed air is that when unlocked, the transfer case will have a slight positive pressure to help keep water out when fording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode