O/T downloading music? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T downloading music?

So whats everyones thoughts on the recent crackdown on downloading music. Stealing or promoting? I honestly feel it shows the greed of the recording industry not to mention stupidity. would you sue your fans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: downloading music?

I personally feel no remorse. Screw the record industry, and screw CD stores. They overcharge like there's no tomorrow, and don't pay their artists enough. I was just at Sam Goody a few days ago, and their CD's go for $20 a piece!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:11 PM
Billybob015

I think that by downloading music, you ARE stealing and the record industries have every right to prosecute whoever does download music illegally, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that the record industries are headed by a bunch of scumbags. Drop the price of a cd to 5 bucks and I'd buy a bunch of them . But $20??? On something that I don't even know that I like?? It's ridiculous. And still at a lower price I wouldn't know what I would be getting...
And I also think that downloading music does promote the artist (notice the artist, not the record industry) so if I found a good band I would try to go see them in concert, play their music while my friends are around and such forth. Bands that don't tour around me I might think about buying their cd, but again, not for $20 bucks. That could be money better spent.

So that's my take on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Official Curmudgeon

This came up on an oldies bbs where I post. I quit voluntarily listening to pop music in the very early '70s. I've got two spinner towers 6' high with over 800 CDs containing songs from the '20s to the early '70s and some country from the '80s. Keeping that in mind:

Hasn't the music industry been taking advantage of the listeners long enough? I'm a baby boomer and as such have owned the same song on several different medias. Bought it on 78 or 45, and again on LP album, 4-track, 8-track, cassette, and/or CD. I don't know that I have ever owned any song on all medias but there are several that I have owned on multiple ones. I paid the copyright royalties each time I bought the same song over again on a new media. Shouldn't the music industry owe me for collecting multiple royalties on the same song?

In addition to the CDs, I have boxes full of 78s, 45s, LPs, 8-tracks cassettes and even two 4-tracks. So if I already own the song on one of these medusa would I be justified in downloading it to put it on CD since I can prove I've already paid the royalties?

If I can get witnesses to attest that I once owned the song and paid the royalties, can I download it again even if it was lost or destroyed?

What about songs that are not available anywhere at any price? I looked for years for Hoyt Axton's Della and the Dealer on CD. It wasn't available so it was the first song I downloaded. If the owners of the copyright are not making it available, am I depriving them of anything or should I be deprived of listening to the song because they don't think there is enough demand to provide a large enough profit margin for them?

I had several CDs out at once. One of them, a various artist CD, slipped out of the jewel box and got scratched. Only one song was ruined but it was one of my favorites on the CD and the CD was part of a set, so I bought the exact CD again. So, shouldn't I have gotten the new one at a reduced rate since I had already paid the royalties?

I bought a CD of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs on the Rhino label but the listing didn't match the track order. After contacting Rhino about the problem, I bought the same CD again once the problem was corrected. Aren't I owed a rebate here?

Again, I'm old and every once in a while one of those old songs comes to mind or somebody tells me about some song I don't remember. Is it justified to download the song to sample it before buying it on CD? Some music stores will let me listen before I buy but if I'm buying off the net, not all songs have sample and I'd like to make sure I don't have the wrong title.

The music industry has accepted that it is alright to make duplicate copies of CD for personal usage as long as you retain the original CD as an archive copy. If I chose to take a copies to the office as mp3s and it's easier to download them rather than look through those 800+ CDs for each song and then convert it, is that legal?

In those 800+ CDs, I have the same songs duplicated on several different CD. I'm taking about the same song on 10-12 different CDs. So since I've paid the same artist royalties several times for the same song, wouldn't it seem only fair that I should be able to download a song by the same artist that I don't have?

So how about if I download the songs and put them on cassette rather than CD? Several years ago a surcharge was added to each cassette to reimburse the music industry for lost revenues from copying to cassette. Now since I already paid the royalties through the cassette surcharge and assuming I retain the cassette and don't reuse it, can I now burn the songs to CD?

The good news is the price of CDs is coming down the end of the month. Why are CDs usually sold at a premium price when they are easier and cheaper to produce than cassettes? Still, the CDs have been priced higher for the same collection. It's called whatever the market will bear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Can't Get Enough

Thanks. After reading your post, I've had 'Della and the Dealer, a dog named Jake and a cat named Kalamazoo' stuck in my head all day. Next I'll probably be singing Hoyt's 'Boney Fingers' song this afternoon! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:54 AM

Re: O/T downloading music?

It seems to me that the RIAA and the people they represent are doing their best to alianate the people who give them their jobs, their customers. It'd be best to embrace the whole idea of file swapping/sharing, and figure a different way of doing business. Than to do what their doing, wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars chasing after a very few select people to make scape goates out of them. Ok, there are laws on the books that make file sharing illegal (depending on how you read the law). Obviously the people want to share files. The inventors of Napster, Kazaa, WinMX and all the other ones are making money, why cant' Sony Records, or RCA? Because they fight it instead of embracing it. There is a better way to make us as the consumer, and them as the supplier, happy.
Just my $0.019.
TT
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Thanks. After reading your post, I've had 'Della and the Dealer, a dog named Jake and a cat named Kalamazoo' stuck in my head all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's called an earworm. Best known way to get rid of it is to give it to somebody else by mentioning the song to them but whatever you do, don't think about elephants.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Sooooo, by someone's logic here...if I produce a product and you feel that I'm way out in left field on my pricing, you feel perfectly justified in taking it from me? Hmmm. If you think the cost is too high, don't buy the product plain and simple. By some other logic here, the record company is screwing the artist so it's ok to steal it. Never mind you just shafted the artist out of what little his was getting. Speaking of which, if the artist signed the deal and is happy with it, who are we to judge whether he's getting screwed? As far as that goes, if he signed the deal and he ISN'T happy with it, wellll, he signed the paper. Plain and simple someone manufactured a product (artist) and signed a contract with a distributor (record label) who charges what some feels is too high a price. That doesn't give me or anyone else the right to steal it. And it is stealing no matter how you look at it. It's no different than me walking to my nearest jeep parts dealer and walking off with that fancy ARB locker, just because I feel it's over priced.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:55 PM

Most people simply don't care about "cheating" an artist out of the measley 50 cents they get from a CD sale. Especially when they live a life of luxury with 38 cars and 5 homes and a personal jet while the average joe works his ass off just to put food on the table. Not saying it's right, but painting the picture that record company execs and millionare artists are victims does not sit well with most people.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 01:15 PM

The problem I have is that I may like only one or two songs on an entire CD. Why should I shell out $20 to buy two good songs? No way would I pay for a CD. The record companies should stop throwing out these one hit wonders to focus on quality, not quantity. They're so overly concerned with making money that they don't care if CD prices go to $40 each. How about dropping the price of CDs? The cost of making them has plummeted, yet the consumer's cost is skyrocketing. No wonder people download music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode