Need Help finding Radiator for CJ7 AUTO???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Need Help finding Radiator for CJ7 AUTO????

Ok so here's the scoop, my dad's Jeep is an 83 CJ7 Auto with a 258. We're pretty sure the radiator is bad (not ciculating properly) so he's going to replace it. Here's our problem, the radiator that's in it has an in and out fitting for the Auto trans lines to connect to for keeping the tranny cool. I can't find this radiator anywhere???? The local parts store has one that comes with a seperate core for the tranny, but that's not how this one is set-up (although I think that's how it comes stock) Anyone know where we can find one of these radiators?????? The engine is overheating and this is his daily driver so if anyone can help out soon that would be GREAT

Thanks in advance

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:51 PM

Re: Need Help finding Radiator for CJ7 AUTO????

Just a few months ago a friend who owns a radiator shop got a new Harrison three-row for my '78. It had transmission cooler fittings in it. He said that Harrison puts them in everything where an auto was a possibility because it's cheaper than carrying two styles.

Call shops and ask first if they can get Harrison. If they can, they'll fix you up. It was $195.27 plus tax.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

On E-bay, search for 'Jeep radiator' - there is a company called radiator doctor that sells them. I just looked and they have a 3 core CJ radiator for $120. I got mine from them last summer. If they are still selling the same one ( ask before you bid) it comes with the resivoir and removable plugs in the bottom of the radiator. If you have an auto trany, remove the plugs and insert your fittings. If you have a manual trany, leave the plugs in. I've been really pleased with the radiator. No leaks anyways! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Ditto what Jim said.

One of the bracket solder joints on my radiator came loose and it backed into the fan. Went to a well known local radiator shop and asked for a radiator for an '80 Jeep. They didn't ask any questions just went and got me one off the shelf. Three core with auto tranny cooler. I didn't ask for the cooler, I didn't need it, it's the only way they came.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:54 AM

I did the same as what tippy said going to ebay to find a supplier, but I think mine was like $145 or something. Anyhow, you don't have to bid and wait, you can just call them direct and order. They can go through the details with you on the phone for with tranny connections or without, center or side radiator cap, how many core, etc.

I got a 3 core radiator with center cap and with auto tranny fittings (with removable plugs). Just make sure you get a petcock valve from your auto parts store in the "help" section. Helps with draining.

I thought it was radiator.com, I can't remember for sure. They are out there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 05:52 PM

BUT, if you want to be cheap like me...
I get mine from late 70's to mid 80's AMC cars like the spirit and concord. Most with the 258 fit with no mods and some have to have the CJ brackets put on. You might look at some local yards. I have found several of mine that were like BRAND NEW replacement ones with a high fin per inch count and 3 rows thick. (that = HD cooling) Price around me? $25-$50 And you can't beat that for a new one. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's all about the cars. Say Jeep and they think $$$$$. Say AMC and there glad to even be able to sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode