Frame repair. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:03 PM
jeepdad

Frame repair.

Hi everybody. I hope everyone had a good summer. A friend of mine found a 1977 CJ7 in excellent shape. The only problem is, years ago, it was rear-ended, and bent both frame ends down at about a 45 degree angle. Where it's bent, it's rusted away. Does anyone make som frame repair weld-in pieces, or should he just try to fabricate a boxed end for the shackle mounts? It's his everyday vehicle, so to change frames would take too long. Any ideas or sellers of these repair pieces? It would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:46 PM

Re: Frame repair.

There probably is a source, but the bad news is that to do a proper job it's going to have to be separated from the body.

Those frames rust where metal is overlapped. Water wicks between the pieces and promotes rust. To properly repair it one should cut out the bad material and fit new to BUTT against the old, and preferrably on a diagonal, so that the final weld is longer than the cross section of the frame.

By making it a butt joint there is no gap between pieces. It can then be rustproofed inside, and be good for years. If you overlap a piece it's going to start rusting the first time it gets humid.

Because a butt joint requires careful fitup, you're going to have to get to the top and sides. As a bonus, you'll also be able to weld the top, so the final product will be as strong as new.

The good news is that the body probably doesn't have to come all the way off. If you take out the body mount bolts, drop the gas tank, and disconnect the rear wiring harness, you should be able to jack the back end up a foot or more. It will still be close work, but shouldn't be impossible. You'll want to round up a bunch of scissors jacks so that you can support the body on at least half of the body mount points. Or maybe you could even pick up the back with a big cherry picker or overhead hoist.

If you have everything on hand, it could be a good weekend project.

And by the way, it probably was pretty badly rusted before it was hit, and just crumpled because it was weak.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:23 PM
jeepdad

Re: Frame repair.

Thanks Jim , I figured it would be a pain to repair but my friend got such a good deal on it he would do what was needed to fix it. I am sure he will make up some square tube and replace the rear of the frame. I dont post much but I enjoy the threads plus the q&a. I have a 92 wrangler it is my first jeep but I have been 4 wheeling since high school a 66 olds with 4 snow tires. thanks again for the info. jeepdad mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode