California Smog Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

California Smog Problems

Iím trying to help out a friend get her Jeep smog legal and registered in California. The Jeep is an 86 CJ7 with a TBI Chevy 350 in, using Advanced Adapters Bell housing, motor mounts and headers. The headers are called block hugger headers and are being used because of lack of space. The state officials are not allowing this and it will not pass smog. Advanced Adapters said they are not legal and that it will need a legal exhaust manifold to pass. Are all ďblock hugger headersĒ treated the same, as in they all are not legal in Ca or not C.A.R.B approved? I have tried Sanderson Headers, Street and Performance, JBA Headers with no success.

Another issue is the referee said the engine needs a smog pump, but we just need to prove to them that there is other Jeeps using a 1995 Chevy 350 motor without a smog pump and are smog legal. You would think they would have that information available.

Any help will be appreciated

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:25 PM
MNT
Addict

Re: California Smog Problems

This won't really help the immediate problems, but if I remember correctly there are only 6 or 7 counties in Caliornia where smogs are required. If she or you know someone who lives in a "non-smog" county register the vehicel there (with their permission) and don't worry about the smog. Of course this will make it an issue to sell later, if that were to happen.

Anyway, just a thought. Sorry I can't help you out on the other issues.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:30 PM
MNT
Addict

I just checked the dmv websight, I gave bad info. The number of counties requiring smog has drastically increased since I last checked. Here they are if you are interested smog counties
Sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:42 PM

Good luck on this issue. With that engine, you will have to be creative to pass. Here's a link to California's smog info web site. According to this,
"You must use Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) specification parts for use in your specific year, make, and model of vehicle; or
The part must have an Executive Order (EO) number that shows it has been exempted by the California Air Resources Board for use in your specific year, make, and model of vehicle; or
The equipment used must be certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) for use in your specific year, make, and model of vehicle."

Even though the Mopar MPI meets the second criteria, I've had a heck of a time getting mine smogged.

I've always wanted to swap out a larger motor, but I'm stuck until my Jeep turns 30. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

That would have to be the last option. Your driverís license address has to match the mailing address in one of those counties. I guess one could have two mailing addresses...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:47 PM

I live in the southern most county of CA, the Imperial County. We have to smog a vehicle prior to selling, seller's responsibility. After you have the vehicle you never smog again 'til you sell. The only time I saw a smog referee was when I bought a truck and changed registration to Commercial and he did the visual.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:01 AM

California law states that an engine transplant must use all the original smog equipment that came on that engine when it was new in the original vehicle. If the donor car had a smog pump then the Jeep must have a smog pump. Usually the headers don't pass because of the visual and any air tubes that are routed into the manifolds. If you can get a set of CARB certified headers to work with that engine and fit in the Jeep you should be able to get away with it. You must keep the CARB certification though. Good luck on getting it smogged.

Boy am I glad I have a 1973 Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode