Broke Winch need expertise... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Broke Winch need expertise...

I have a HS9500I that sheered a gear and I bought another gear and it sheered it too. I kind of think that the motor armateur is bent on the end because the planetary gear it is sheering will only sping part of the way in the motor housing on the motor shaft... However the spool won't spin by hand with the motor off completely and the lever engaged. I am not sure if it is supposed to or not... Without the lever engaged it spins freeley by hand. All the planetaries in the opposite (of the motor) end spin freely in the housing without the shaft running through them. I am also wondering if the main shaft is bent.....

This winch hasn't been used that much but a friend of mine out of the goodness of his heart winched a F150 (along with one other guy) up a steep embankment off of trail 5 in Tellico. The winch bound up after it slid him over to a bank with him hold the brakes.... He had to whack the lever to get it to disengage and that is when the damage was done I believe. The guy he was winching didn't even thank him...... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Broke Winch need expertise...

I don't really have an answer for your winch problem. But I've basically learned not to winch on somebody that I don't know. Unless its a critical situation. If there are others out there to help, I'll let them. Its not worth all of the hassle.

Not saying that I won't help others, just that some times its easier to let somebody else do it. On another note, there have been times that a stuck 4x4 will ask for help and they have unsafe tow points, etc. Sorry... Cant help...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:53 PM

Re: Broke Winch need expertise...

Steve, catch me on pal sometime. Maybe not answers....but I went through the same kinda thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode