gear oil?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

gear oil??????

at NAPA they have their brand gear oil (valvoline) and it says gl-3, gl-4, gl-5 safe......ok here is the stupid question......does that mean it can be used in my tranny (ax-5) which ive been told does not like the sulfur content of gl-5.........i know there is tons of stuff about gear oil on this site but nothing like the question i asked...

later
john [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:00 PM

Re: gear oil??????

Does this help ?

Victory Lube Oil FAQ

What happens if API GL-5 gear oil is used in an API GL-4 gear oil application... ?
API GL-4 and API GL-5 products typically use the same extreme pressure (EP) additive system, with the API GL-5 having about twice the concentration of a API GL-4. In service, these additives become active under extreme load and temperature when the protective oil film can be squeezed away. EP additives work by forming wear-resistant compounds with the metal of the gear tooth surface. As the gears mesh, these compounds shield the gear teeth from direct metal-to-metal contact that would cause wear and damage to the gears. If too little of the active additive is present, proper protection would be compromised. Too much of this additive could cause excessive chemical corrosion of the gear surface. If an API GL-5 gear oil is used in a application where API GL-4 gear oil is called for, chemical corrosion of "yellow metal" components may occur, such as bronze synchronizers, brass bushings, etc. This may lead to shifting difficulties or shortened equipment life.

Bill C

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

been thinking about what you said the Oil you were looking at had on it.... Good for GL3, GL4, and GL5 applications.... That doesn't mean that the gear oil you were looking at is GL3, GL4 or GL5..... they are apparently saying it can be used in those applications.... Is it much cheaper than a strickly GL3 or GL4 lube? or is that all that NAPA carried? What did they say about whether or not they GARUANTIED it would be Fine to use for your tranny??????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

i just went out to the jeep to look at one of the bottles i have and the lable said API gl-5, gl-4, gl-3 so im guessing its safe for my tranny that g-l3 rated...........and it 80-90w gear oil........ill check the napa site to see if i can get more info...

later
john

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...;usrcommgrpid=

heres what the napa site had to say

im still lost [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

um thats all i could see that they had on their site..im going to stop by after work and see what they have in GL-3 if they have anything like that.....if not i guess i need to get a "name brand" for my tranny....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

OK, my curiosity got the best of me and I just called 1800-TEAM-VAL... Valvolines toll free number. the guy there pulled up your Tranny specs, and said that yours calls for GL3... this you already knew. he then said that their GL5,4,3 fluid that you bought is good for "up to GL-5 rating" but that since your tranny calls for GL3, that you don't want the extra addatives that this fluid offers.. so he said take it back and get a specific GL3 fluid....... So that tells me they need to change their label and not say that is is SAFE for GL3-GL4 and GL5 applications... cause it isn't really......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

well i guess i can use the gear oil i have now for the diffs. and get some gl-3 for the tranny.........ooooowell thanks for the help guys [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

later
john [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Veteran

hi there

sorry to butt in but...do most trannys take a GL3? i've got the T4 tranny and was just told to put in 80-90 weight. wasn't told what GL rating

thanks
patrick
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

quit hijacking threads [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]...joking....maybe brent will pop in......he's a cj man that knows a good amount.......sorry i just have a sad lil' TJ

later
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode