disabling stepper motor on carter BBD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

disabling stepper motor on carter BBD

I have a Carter BBD with a stepper motor. I want to rebuild it to put on my 258. I won't be using the computer controls of course. Once the stepper motor is unplugged does it have any effects on the carb other than just looking stupid? I don't understand much about how it works so I thought there might be something else I have to do for the carb to run well without it. perhaps unbolt it from the carb body and make an access plate to go over the hole?

I want to get my CJ running again with a low budget and keep the emissions so that they look stock, that is why I'm not swapping a MC2100 on (yet).

thanks [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:35 AM

Re: disabling stepper motor on carter BBD

don't unbolt it... the air/fuel mix needles are connected to it, if you yank those out your vehicle will run poorly, if at all. You'll want to move the needles into the "full rich" position before disabling them. It's part of the nutter bypass.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:50 AM

To disable it, simply unplug the electrical connector, and it will remain it it's current position. If it was on the jeep and idling, and it was idling ok, I would unplug it then. After that, all adjustments to mixture are by the two screws on the front of the carb base.

I had no problem with this, but you could run into a problem if the stepper motor was stopped in an extreme position that prevented adjustment to a good idle mixture via the screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I got this carb on a Jeep awhile back and it was already unplugged. So I don't know if someone unplugged it when it was idling or the previous owner could have tinkered with it. I see the 'pin' sticking out of the stepper motor. Is there a way I can set it manually? In what position should it be set? thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:54 PM

if you're going to set it in a position manually, set it in full rich (all the way out of the motor, towards the radiator.) You can do that by removing the motor and pulling them gently, or an easier way would be to do it with the harness connected, but that assumes that your computer still works.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I have to pass a tailpipe sniffer test at idle so full rich might ruin my chances for that.. I'll play around with the settings, thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:09 PM

This could be an oversimplification, but within a reasonable range of settings of the stepper, the idle mixture screws on the front will make up for it's setting. Ie, if it's set lean on the stepper, the screws on the front will simply be set richer (further out). If it's set rich on the stepper, the mixture screws will simply be set further in. Use a vacuum gauge to set the two screws for the leanest peak vacuum reading (manifold vacuum).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode