Quick Carter cleaning! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:57 PM
mjt

Quick Carter cleaning!

Hey guys, for you guys, like me, who can't afford fuel injection. I've been cleaning my venturi tubes with computer duster compressed gas. I just put the plastic extenions tube on the top and give each of them a couple quck blasts. I've been doing this for 8 months only 5 time in total with no effects to my carb. When it starts running rough I just let it cool and a couple quick blasts and its running smooth agian. It works for me. Just thought I would pass it on.

I did not vote for my prime minister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:00 PM

Re: Quick Carter cleaning!

A great tip! Which carter do you have? Is it the 1-barrel YF?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:07 PM
mjt

I used to have the yf but, my manifold cracked, so I had the a set of 2 bbl manifolds and put them on. I have the carter bbd, the real bad one, but its wotking great for me. I'm sure this would work on the yf as well. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Old Hand

Welcome to the board. Thanx, I think its been a while since someone piped up just to add some useful info. I don't have a Carter, but I'm sure I'll impress all of my friends when I get their bbd's running smooth so easily. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:20 PM

A "mechanic" also told me of a "Trail Fix" for them.

You take the #3 and #4 plug wires and reverse them, then, with the throttle plates closed, turn the engine over a couple of times. In theory it should work, pushing the gas air mixture up through the carb circuit without igniting.

I have never tried it, because I dont have a carter. But Id be interested in hearing from anyone who has.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:54 PM

I don't like the suggestion about the plug wires. Why not just unplug the ignition? Anyhow, I wouldn't try it and risk damage to the engine from crossed plug wires or backfires thru the intake or exhaust.

Any cleaning of the carb, to have any lasting effect, must also include cleaning the sediment out of the float bowl. Otherwise, sediment will quickly make for more problems.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:25 PM
bchiker

I don't understand, I'm still removing my venturi block to get to the tubes and then blowing carb cleaner into them. Are you saying that you are cleaning your tubes without removing them? There are you pluging in the hose from the can of PC air? And I WOULD NOT cross plug wires and think I was blowing air backwards to clean my venturi tubes. That's just asking for trouble.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:44 AM
mjt

Hey bchiker, I'm not removing them off the carb. All that I'm doing is holding the plastic extension tube agianst the top of the venturi tubes and a couple of quick blasts. Hope that helps.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Hey MJT, welcome to the board!

Don't get me wrong with my comments, I think your idea is a great trail fix. However, if the problem has recurred 5x, then you need to clean the carb thoroughly. You remove the carb from the manifold, remove the top cover, remove the fuel inlet fitting so that you can get the needle and seat then the float bowl out. Some aerosol can carb cleaner makes quick work of most cases. Be cautious as there are two ball bearings that need to be replaced to their original spots, a fuel pump piston and two metering rods that need to be aligned in position to put the top back on. If you need a hand doing this, let me know, as I am in Winnipeg as well. Just come over with a can of carb cleaner and we will take it apart.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:53 PM
mjt

Hey TiminMb I sent you a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode