Adding temp gauge to auto trans? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Adding temp gauge to auto trans?

I swapped in an auto and want to add a temp gauge. The trans is the AMC 727.
1. Is there a plug in the trans that I can take out and put the sender in
2. Or do I have to drill a hole in the pan - if so, what is the best way to go about doing that? (obviously pan removed and check to see if sender interfers)

Also, where the heck is the vent on the auto trans? I looked all over the case and didn't find one. I would like to raise it up with the other vents, so any help in locating it would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:56 PM

Re: Adding temp gauge to auto trans?

I just did this saturday on my truck. I bought a guage/sender. Drilled a hole in the pan.(where the plug should have went) Bought a Pipe nipple that matched the threads of the sender, cut most of the nipple off (left the threads). Welded what was left of the nipple on the outside of the pan. This way, I will remove my sender to drain the pan. Gave me 2 things 1. A plug. 2. A temp guage.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Mud in my Veins

I *think* the concensus was to monitor the "cold" side of the tranny cooler. Plumbing in a "T" shouldn't be too hard (at least I hope not [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]...p/u a mech. gauge from Elusive a few months back and need to get it in the Jeep [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] We did that to our Full-Floater 14-Bolt rear axle a couple of years ago, and what we did was buy a fitting from SUMMIT that bolts through a hole in the pan.....or in our case the differential cover plate..... and then the sender threads into that. We saw the gauge go to 265 degrees F on a sustained pull over the Sierras. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] SUMMIT has kits to install a drain plug where there WAS no drain plug and I THINK the fitting we used was actually intended for that purpose, but it worked fine for the sender as well. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:16 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
where the heck is the vent on the auto trans?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take peak on top of the front pump/input shaft inside the bell housing. Just where the plate is bolted you will see the vent hole, a despicable place for the vent. It is very hard to seal this and get a tube out due to the close proximity of the torque converter. Best bet would be to seal this hole up and drill the case just above the clutch plate area on top. Install a tube adapter and vent from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode