catalytic converter ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

catalytic converter ?

Hi, I'm new to the board.

I've Got a question. My Catalytic Converter is bad, I was told I have a special O2 sensor That will make my Wrangler
run bad if I remove the conveter. I would like to just put a straight pipe in place of the conveter. If anyone else has any Suggestions it please let me know.

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Thanks in advance
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 12:10 PM

Re: catalytic converter ?

This is not a joke.

Go to the dealership and have them check it. In most, I think all, states, the cat is covered by a Federally mandated extended 8 year/80,000 mile warranty. We had the same problem on a minivan two years ago and the dealer never bothered to tell us about the warranty, I drove it for another 250 miles before I got fed up with the noise and when I took it in I had exceeded the 80,000 and they said "Oh thats to bad. Didn't we tell you...." Get in there soon!

Let me know what happens!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Obviously, we on this board would NEVER condone a single mod if it in any way depaerted from the superb factory engineering. HOWEVER.......ther IS something that can be done with Catalytic Converters that will enhance performance and still not upset the apple cart from a smog-control standpoint. The thing that can be done is to DRAIN OUT the berries that are in the converter, and then ruun them through a series of sieves such that you ONLY KEEP THE BIG ONES. Then refill the converter with the big berries only. Then cap the opening with a Tee-Type core plug. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to get the berries back in by attaching it to the tailpipe and then hold the can of berries up to the hole so they pop in. When we did this on a CA smog-approved vehicle, it still passed emissions testing with flying colors. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:39 PM

Dave
I think the cat on a Wrangler is the solid block honeycomb type, [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] no berries, these were the older GM and Ford type units [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, your right it's covered under warrinty up to 80k.
But my luck isnt that good, I've got 85k.

Thanks
Joel

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 10:54 PM

Call Damler/Chrysler direct you may get some help> Worth a try! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:27 AM

Sorry to hear that, sounds similar to my situation. The oxygen sensor can not be dismantled easily. You have probably got two sensors on your cat one at the front and one further back. The system requires some back pressure for the temperture sensor to work. So while you could simply drill mounting holes to thread the sensors into a straight pipe, I don't think they would work properly and the sensors would continuously tell your computer that you were not warmed up enough to bring down your idle. Not exactly sure but that was my interpretation of the situation I had. You should be able to buy a universal cat from a local muffler shop which could receive your sensors for only a couple hundred bucks. The dealer wants upwards of 700 bills usually to replace everything from the manifold to muffler.

Good luck.

BTW, where in Michigan are you? I spent my formative years in the K-zoo/GR region.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I believe that you have two O2 sensors. The interaction of the two is required for proper engine management. The DC cat (I'm unsure of others) allegedly soaks up O2 at some point in the combustion process (either decell or idle or whatever - some cycle) and the front 02 sensor reads the oxygen ...the rear one doesn't. At some other point in the cycle ..the material releases this captured O2. This chemical reaction has to be "seen" by the rear O2 sensor. This is from what I remember in the 99 FSM. Your system may vary (and keep in mind that this is from "memory" and electro-chemical interaction and therefore is subject to modification with time[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Go get a high flow cat and be done with it. You'll spend more on one tire (excluding installation if you can't do it yourself).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepsteve, I live in Pontiac which is about 3-4 hours away
from Kalamazoo.

I'm gonna Try to call Chrysler And see if they will work with me, if not I will get a high flo cat.

Thank you all for your help.
I'm sure I will be talking to you soon.

Joel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode