Scout 44 Outboard mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Scout 44 Outboard mounts

I am making the mounts for the outboarding of the front dana 44. When all is said and done, do I want the front shackles (I haven't done a reversal yet, and probably won't do it for a while) anyway do I want the front shackles more or less straight up and down or with a bit of an angle to them??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 12:17 PM

Re: Scout 44 Outboard mounts

I think that ideally they are at a right angle to the end of the leaf spring when it's normally loaded.

If I'm wrong (I was once before [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) somebody will correct me pretty quickly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:34 PM

You don't want them straight up and down. I've been told you should measure the angle at full axle droop and set the hangers so that you have a 60 degree angle at full droop. That came from the guys at M.O.R.E. (was putting on their SRS at the time) When I redid things the second time, I clamped them on, set the jeep down, adjusted til I thought it looked good and welded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

So this has got me pondering again. I don't see the dificulty (since I am making new mounts anyway) of doing a reversal right now. The front looks like no problem, and as long as I am on track, the rear doesn't look too difficult.

My questions are: I have never seen a shackle reversal on a CJ (no jeeps to look at) but in the picture of the "kit" you can buy there is a long flat stock looking arm of some sort. My plan was to build a beefy mount, attach it well to the frame and then attach the spring/shackle mount to that.
I don't in my drawings (crude sketch is more like it) see the need for this bar anywhere.

What is it?? Do I need it?? As far as I can tell, if my mounts are strong and secured well, and I get my pinion angle and shackle angle correct, I don't see a need for more parts than I got.

Am I waaaayyy off base here???
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:24 AM

I just did this on my CJ7. Used a Waggy front instead of a Scout, but the principle is the same.
I decided to do a shackle reverse at the same time as I was outboarding the springs. I also am using waggy springs, but it really shouldn't make any difference in figuring the angles.
Here is what I did. I made a rear shackle hanger mount with a series of holes in it. So I could move the shackle hanger either direction to get my angles right. (This should also allow me to use different springs if I ever want to try something else.) With the front mounted solid and the rear where I "thought" it should be, I cycled the spring with a jack. In my case with the spring almost flat, i get about 45*. And at full droop maybe around 70 - 80*. At no point does it go past 90. So I "hope" I won't get that "over-center" bind or any shackle inversions.
It looks good on paper. And with the adjustable rear, if it is not right I can change it with a miniumum of BS.
[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Ask me again in a couple weeks after I have tried it on the trail and I may sing a different tune.
[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I posted some pics of the mock up I used to figure the angles on this thread.

Waggy Springs thread

AS far as the bar between the front hangers, I don't think it is necessary, but i think it will make it a little stronger and has the added bonus of giving you some beef in front of your steering box.

Hope this helps.

Bill C
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thats a good idea. I am using an old body mount of the 5 I just cut up as a start for my spring mounts. I can get about, oh, 7 inches of play on the bottom side of it. How many holes are you putting in you adjustable mount??

I am doing most of this with my 5 not back in my yard yet, so I can't go out and take a closer look. I figure moving the rear shackle hanger back and forth 6 inches or so should be *WAAY MORE* than enough adjustment room.

Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

on more quick (well prolly stupid) question. Like I said I don't have my jeep here with me, but the front and rear hangers for the front spring are the same elevation right?? (Assuming stock shackles and stock mounts??)

Thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:27 AM

OK,
On the rear hanger mounting plate.
Had to look at a pic to remember. (Stinks getting old and CRS) [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Anyway, looks like 4 holes. Which gives me 3 adjustments. Then if you turn the hanger around you get 3 more. Gives a total of about 6" w/o going to a monster long plate.
Here's a pic of the mounting bracket with the shackle hanger before they were put on the frame.

Front and rear hangers are NOT the same elevetion.
The front is higher than the rear, by a good bit.
What I did was measure from the frame to the spring eye on both ends and make hangers that would start me off there. i.e. the same orientation to level as the original spring.
I will adjust as necessary with shackle length and shims.

Make sense?

Bill C
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the pic! Yea, makes perfect sense, and pretty similar to what I am fabbing up. As for elevation, I am trying to fab up the mounts without my CJ here to take measurments off off, so its a little difficult. It should work out just fine though, my front mount is pretty skookum and the rear will be just as well built. Adjusting height should be pretty easy. I got enough flat stock laying to make it work nicely.

Getting some serious jeep fever, I have piles of parts to throw on my 5, but I don't have it back in the yard to work on it yet!! I got Scout 44's, York OBA, power steering, allready got the T-18 in, getting new 304 in now, bikini top (if we ever get another sunny day before next June)..... The jeep will come out of this as a whole new CJ!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode