Help: Accessory brkts for 95 5.0 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Help: Accessory brkts for 95 5.0

I have 5.0 I want to mount the saginaw style pump on and I've run into something of a snag. I bought the usual recommended brkt from an 80's something van but this isn't going to cut the mustard. As best as I can tell the vans used a long neck water pump and the mustang (95 anyway) uses a short neck pump. Obviously this makes the accessory brackets of each non mix/matchable. I'd rather keep my short neck pump with the hopes of being able to slide the motor forward more for added drivetrain length. With this in mind, is there another bracket option out there which will allow me to mount the saginaw steering pump in conjuction with the short neck water pump? I can booty fab the existing brackets to force fit the things I want to fit but if I can go factory, I'd much rather. If anyone can point me the right direction OR provide the needed brackets, I'd gladly sign over title to one slightly used 24 yr old daughter. Said daughter also comes with a nearly new accessory grand-baby. All is in perfect working condition but is delivered As Is/Where Is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: Help: Accessory brkts for 95 5.0

BTT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:46 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey Spook.

Is there ANY way you have the bracket on wrong? I bought the same bracket (80 ford van), and bolted it right to the engine (90 crown vic). I didn't think Ford used a short or long water pump on any of their engines. I'm thinking that's mainly a chevy thing.

Other than "clearancing" the bracket for my steering shaft, there were no modifications needed.

There may be additional holes in the bracket to allow it to be used on the 351 engines. Maybe that's the issue?

I'm just thinking you have the right bracket, the water pump should be universal, you should be able to get it to work.

Maybe you can take another trip to the junkyard, look at an installed bracket?

(reaching for straws now....... )

Drew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:25 AM

Did you use the jeep or ford ps pump? It might be offset different on the water pump pulley its self. but a 302 or 351 ps pump bracket is the same.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is there ANY way you have the bracket on wrong? I bought the same bracket (80 ford van), and bolted it right to the engine (90 crown vic). I didn't think Ford used a short or long water pump on any of their engines. I'm thinking that's mainly a chevy thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance. I double checked just to be on the safe side and there is only one way that puppy is going to bolt up. I "may" be wrong but I looked at some photos of another gentlemans 5.0 swap and it surrrre does look like his water pump has a much longer neck than the one on my 95 HO. Be that as it may though, I'm still wondering if there is an alternate bracket for me to use. The one I got from the mid/late 80's van certainly does NOT work with the bracketry on the 95 HO. Does anyone know if 95 E series vans were available with 5.0's and if so did they have the saginaw pumps? I'm wondering if THIS would get me where I need to be. Worse case scenario is I start ghetto-fabbing what's there. I've got it pretty worked out in my head already how to modify the existing brackets but I'm a big fan of using factory parts to accomplish what I want, if at all possible.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought Lumpy? The power steering pump is from the Ford van (302/5.0 whatever), as is the bracket. I'll take your word on the 351 and 302 brackets being the same but I'm not sure what you're getting at?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:41 PM

Hey Spook,

Did you look into this? :

Partsamerica #206244

This is supposed to bolt into the factory 5.0 brackets, and accept a serpentine pulley. This is NOT first hand experience. Just info I'm passing on..... from previous postings....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1189740-206244.jpg (16.4 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

WHAT the hell is THAT? That's a funky looking do-dah. It looks something like a metal version of the factory plastic mustang pump.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:27 PM

Yeah that's EXACTLY what it is. A metal version of the stock ford pump. Of course this info was posted AFTER I did my swap. So I'm not sure it's THE answer.

Oh... and it's a LITTLE pricey. $45 core charge. But I'd just take your old one back later, that way they don't know it's not the same model.

But anyway.... if you try this, let me know if it works. I'd like to store that info into my brain... for someday.....

..... oh... and I'll send an address that you can pass onto your daughter!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I appreciate the info but.....I'm not sure where you're going with it? My "intention" is to be able to mount the saginaw style pump because it's my understanding that it is much more suitable for cranking around bigger tires. I've heard these mustang units won't cut the mustard especially if you start adding to their load. Currently I'm running 37's and hydro-boost brakes with plans in the future for 40's and hydro assisted steering. That part is not set in concrete but I'd like to have the "expansion" room so to speak. Does this unit you're showing me boast higher pressure/more flow than the factoyr mustang unit? You see what I'm getting at? If the only difference in what you're showing me is that it's metal instead of that cheesy plastic, I'm not sure it's getting me what I want. Now, will all THAT said, I don't know for SURE that this mustang unit is unsuitable. That's just what I've heard. Maybe more knowledgable individuals than myself could shed some light there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode