Blown head gasket? *Updated* - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Blown head gasket? *Updated*

It looks like I have oil leaking out from between the head and the block on the front passenger side of the engine (the corner near the alternator).
I've verified this by cleaning the area up thoroughly and then letting the engine run. Once the engine reaches operating temperature (around 200 - 210), I have someone rev the engine to about 1800 - 2000 RPM and hold it for about 45 seconds to a minute. Then oil starts seeping from that corner.
Also, if I go on a freeway (about 70MPH / 2200RPM average) trip to my girlfriends house (she lives about 35 miles away) by the time I get there, the entire passenger side of the engine compartment is literally covered in oil.

I'm 99.5% sure that it's not coming from the valve cover because I tested it again this morning by going to the car wash and using some degreaser and high pressure soap/rinse on the engine THEN coming home and towel drying the block.
I then drove it for a distance of about 5 miles and came back home and there is a small puddle of oil below the thermostat housing and the valve cover is dry. Again, that front passenger corner is wet with oil.

Would this be something like a head gasket, or should I be looking at something else?

If it is the head gasket, then I'll be getting the head milled to make sure it's flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Possible blown head gasket?

A bad head gasket can do that. Do a compression check and see if that one cylinder is low.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I did a compression check last weekend.
The number one cylinder was at 110 PSI and cylinders 2 - 6 were all at exactly 125 PSI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Official Curmudgeon

That doesn't sound like enough difference to indicate a head gasket problem. I'd be looking at the valve cover again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 01:04 PM

Reseal the valve cover and clean everything back up. If it happens again, well I'm sure you can guess. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 01:21 PM

You will get more information about health of your engine if you do 'leak down' test. Also you can put color dye (sold at most parts stores) to your oil, and see exactly where the oil leak is coming from (clean the suspected areas on the engine first).
HTH
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I went out and cleaned the engine up again, drove it, brought it back and did a compression test again.

The valve cover area is bone dry.
The area in question shows signs of oil seepage.
I've essentially confirmed that it's leaking oil from that corner of the head/block.
Another thing that leads me to believe it's the head gasket is something I just found while doing the compression test.
There are small coolant droplets on the underside of my oil filler cap and one of two droplets on my oil dipstick.

The compression test results have obviously dropped since I did them last weekend, is there any possible relation here?

The results of the compression test are as follows:
Gave the engine 8 revolutions per cylinder.
1 tbl sp. oil for "wet" test.

Cylinder #1
Dry: 98 PSI
Wet: 110 PSI

Cylinder #2
Dry: 110 PSI
Wet: 118 PSI

Cylinder #3
Dry: 115 PSI
Wet: 130 PSI

Cylinder #4
Dry: 115 PSI
Wet: 128 PSI

Cylinder #5
Dry: 98 PSI

Cylinder #6
Dry: 95 PSI
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 02:21 PM

Well, I'd say that confirms it. Fix it now since you are getting water into the oil. It's only gonna do more damage if you wait. At least on the bright side........it's easy on the inline 6.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Was that coolant green or clear? If it was clear, what kind of weather have you had lately? I was working on some speaker cabinets yesterday and it was so humid here that I couldn't get Elmer's glue to dry. A couple water droplets under the oil fill cap would not be abnormal especially since it's not mixed into the oil.

You could also pop the radiator cap and check for bubbles. Also how long has it been since you replaced the PCV valve. You could be building up crankcase pressure.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

The coolant was green both under the cap and on the dipstick. Average humidity out here runs like 15% - 20%, so I doubt it's condensation.

Replaced the PCV valve and hoses last weekend when I first started tracking this problem down.

Should I have the engine running when I check the radiator (before it gets up to temp and starts spitting out coolant) or would there be bubbles in it anyway?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode