Minimum lift for skinny '33's on Scrambler? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Minimum lift for skinny \'33\'s on Scrambler?

Okay, 'guys much smarter & experienced than me', I again seek your counsel:

I know the generic answer to 33's on a CJ is 3" of suspension lift. However, I am thinking that may be b/c of the width as well as the height, and since I intend to go w/ 33x9.50's or 10.50's, I thought I'd ask the question.

Some of my specific weight issues: I will be using 258 (4.6 Stroker eventually) coupled w/ a T-18 (now a T-5). I have a full-length hardtop and will be adding a winch and heavy front bumper. (I understand I need 1" body lift to use T-18? Can anyone confirm? If so, since my body mounts are next to nonexistent, I figured on using the body mounts that add about an inch of lift [Daystar, maybe?].)

This is a daily driver - not a dedicated trail rig.

Also solicit your specific recommendations on lifts to use and/or avoid.

I am wary of, but open to 'spring over', but not knowledgable enough about what it entails (+/-'s) to know if I want to go that route.

Related issue (is this a variable affecting lift?): Still running stock axles, but know I'm going to have to do something w/ gearing if increasing tire size to 33's. (Currently I've got mid 3.xx ratio.) Given cost of regearing, I'm looking at upgraded axles vice regear of stock - and am completely overwhelmed by all the varied, but well-grounded, opinions on axles. I have an '81 J-20 that could donate it's D60 & D44 (3.73 ratio) axles, but am thinking they may be overkill(?).

Finally, (gearing issue not withstanding) can I run the 33's without adding any lift if I'm just commuting?

Thanks aforehand for all assistance/guidance/recommendations/opinions.

R/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 11:08 PM

Re: Minimum lift for skinny \'33\'s on Scrambler?

I have an '81 Scrambler with 33x10.5 Super Swampers TSL Radials and have a 4" spring lift, Con-ferr shackles which add an additional 3/8" lift, and no body lift. I found the 4" would be my minimum lift recommendation as the front wheels tuck way up at full stuff, but just clear everything. A difference between your Scrambler and mine is that I have the narrow axles (which allowed me to swap a rear Dana 44 from a Commando) and you have the wider axles. I feel the narrower tires perform better than the wider ones due to the increased contact patch pressure. Plus, in my opinion, they look "just right" tucked in the fender wells.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:53 AM

I'm running 33x9.50s on my CJ5 with about 2.5" of lift, and I never rub or hit at full flex. However, a few things to note:

1. I'm running a narrowtrac axle
2. I'm using 15x7" rims, with no special backset (centered)
3. I DID have to adjust my steering stops to keep the front tires from eating the springs.
4. I don't rock crawl, so I'm rarely at full flex
5. This is a CJ5, not a CJ8, so all the geometrys gotta be different, but I'm not smart on that sort of stuff *LOL*

My lift is a "homemade" one. Basically I had a single add-a-leaf put into each spring pack, and had my existing springs re-arched to get a total of 2.5".

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have an 82 Scrambler with 2.5 pro comp springs and 3/8 shackles with 33x12.5 Thornbirds and get just a little bit of rubbing in the front under full compression. The fenders are a little bent up on mine so that kind of has a little to do with the rubbing. I have a AMC360 in the front to so that might help the rubbing to, Im mated up to a SM465 tranny and the stock 300 case and running stock gears which are very high(like 2.73 or something like that). After I went to the SM465 tranny, I was quite happy with the gearing so until the gears break, they will stay in for now.
I have a set of 3/4 GM axles with 4.11 gears that Im wanting to stick under it, but the wife isn't going for it right now!!! In time though, and they will be in it!!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Can't Get Enough

Oh and one more thing, A body lift is cheaper but if you can fork out the cash, do the springs. Ive done both in the past and I would rather install springs than mess with a body lift. If you do the springs get you a 4.5 grinder with a couple cut off wheels and slice right through the old U-bolts and that saves you about an hours worth of work trying to get the nuts off the old ones. Lift kits should come with new U-bolts so its not a problem!!!! I think I done mine in about 3-4 hours by myself and I think the body lift I done on my CJ5 probably took twice as long with help from the wife!!!!!! Just a thought!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

btt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode