Rock Gear Tops?? pros&cons - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rock Gear Tops?? pros&cons

I am in need of a new top and just knew that I would buy a Bestop....but, I have recently run up on a top that is new to me.....who has used or knows about rock gear tops? how do they compare to a bestop? what about the noise factor?
I am wanting to go with the rock gear top because it looks somewhat different from the normal top....I know the material is top quality because it is the same material that boat builders use for their tops here on the coast, and I have spoken with a canvas shop that uses the same material and is confident with the longivity of the material...so speak up guys, let me here your opinions....
http://www.rockgearinc.com/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rock Gear Tops?? pros&cons

come on now, somebody knows something about the rock gear tops....please share some knowledge......please..... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:39 AM

I have their fullback top for my CJ-7. It's great, I can't complain. It's easier to install and use that the Bestops IMHO. The only thing to warn about is the top relies on the rear "family" bars of the '94+ Wranglers to hold the rear of the top. Unless you've added them in, you will need to purchase their bolt on bars, which I did not like. I wound up using parts from an old bikini top to make my rear supports. I plan on adding in the rest of the roll cage this winter anyways, so it's not a big deal.

You asked for pros and cons:

PROS:
-You can either stow all the windows in the top itself for the safari look, or you can unzip them all and run just the summer top portion.
-There's a net on the front of the top to hold stuff.
-High grade materials are used. Once you see/feel the material you'll know what I mean.
-No support bars (well, see above) to deal with. Even the bars they sell to complete the rear portion of the cage are bolted in - they do not fold, so all you have to do is throw the top over, slip it in the w/s channel, and put the strips into the side rails.

CONS:
-Nothing, really...

Anyhoo, I will never go back to the overpriced Bestop tops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info.....my 89 would require the rear support bar which comes with the top I want...it does sound like one of the drawbacks is it is bolted in and stays there with the top off.....I know that the top is made from selena (not sure on that spelling)but it is the material used here on the coast for marine boat tops and awnings......I was going to have a trail cover made for my jeep at a local custom boat canvas maker and the material along was about $300....I got educated on its longivity then......it is made so that the sun does not deteriate its properties.....how about leaks? does it keep the inside dry and warm in the winter?

Thanks for the info...... [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:01 AM

I have not run it in the winter yet. It does not leak, and it also has elastic flaps that you can pull around the outside of soft doors to help keep the rain/wind out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:47 AM

It was hard to tell from their website; is there a support that runs down the middle to the footman loop on the windsheild? I have a front cage, with two spreaders down the middle. I welded in a sheet cap between the spreaders and have my 2 meter mounted there. Would this setup work with that top?

Max
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 03:50 PM

No, there is a strap that wraps around the main hoop and then forward through the footman. As long as you have a straight shot to the footman loop you're all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode