TJ 4 CYL. RELIABILITY? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Timmer

TJ 4 CYL. RELIABILITY?

How reliable is the 4 cylinder in a 97 TJ? I have a buddy that is looking to buy one for $7500 but doesn't know how the 4 would hold up. It probably wont see much off road use either. What do you think? Also is the price about right? It has 60k on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TJ 4 CYL. RELIABILITY?

There is no inherant weakness to the 2.5 that I'm aware of. Many experience excessive blow by in their later years ...as do many other engines. The only complaint about the engine is that it's somewhat of a dog ...especially if it has an automatic trans. Highway (70 mph) driving is laborous at times. Regearing usually solves those issues.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

I would suggest he keep looking.... I have a 4cyl 1997 TJ and I have less than half the asking price of the one you stated in mine... I have seen them go on EBay with an buy it now price of $4200. Don't spend more than $5000-$5500 on a 1997 4cyl (unless it is built already with a lot of high dollar components)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Timmer

Thanks for the info. I will tell my buddy to keep looking. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5L and the manual tranny. I bought it at 22000 miles 2 1/2 years ago and now have 68000 on it...yup I've done a bit of driving.(Quite a bit of it in your neck of the woods) Overall I have been happy with the 4 cyl. But now with 32's and some lift it's gotten to be a bit doggy on the highway.(fourth gear is my friend) On stock tires it was fine though. Common issues (or what I understand are common) Oil Pressure Sensor...tends to get bumped when changing oil filter and will crack after time do to the direct hit...I've gone through 1 in the time I've owned it, and I might add I do my own oil changes and have yet to bump it since I replaced it. That's really the only thing I've heard of. As far as price goes check out www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com or www.NADA.com all three have used vehicle prices on them you want to get as close to wholesale value as possible...wholesale price will be catorgorized as trade-in value on these sites I believe.
John
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Veteran

My friend has a '95 2.5 Liter (same engine as '97) and just rolled over 200,000 miles! He has done VERY little repair to it, outside of normal maintenance. Now, it is a little slow on the street, but seems to have all the power he needs off road. He goes everywhere my 4.0 L goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode