'75 CJ5 Steering wheel information?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'75 CJ5 Steering wheel information??

OK, I bought my first Jeep, a í75 CJ5 with the 304. Itís old like me. Two of the 3 spokes on the steering wheel are cracked and I would like to replace it, maybe with something a little smaller.
First problem seems to be that a normal steering wheel puller is not going to work as there are no holes to bolt into to pull it. What do you use? A gear puller
I also have a question about size. I have no power steering. How small can I take the wheel without making it really difficult to turn. I would like a little more clearance over the hemorrhoid checker when I get in and out of the Jeep. Anyone have experience here.
Lastly, assuming I stay stock, I cannot seem to locate a stock wheel for the Jeep. Does anyone carry this old style of wheel?
Please send replies to [email protected] with my thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Journeyman

Re: \'75 CJ5 Steering wheel information??

Kelly,

Welcome to the board, you will find lots of helpful and knowledgable people here. And congrats on your first JEEP! I waited 40 years from first desire to purchase, hope it didn't take you that long.

You will find folks here a lot more willing to help you out if you take time to fill out your profile. At least let us know what your rig is, engine, transmission, Tcase, etc. and where in the universe you are. This info can improve the quantity and quality of the help you get here. (Wow! my first "please fill out your profile" post)

I have the same year CJ5, also with 304 and I love it (even though it is a project right now). Here are pics of my wheel: steering wheel pic with similar cracks. they appear to be cosmetic, since the underlying structure is steel. My plan is to keep this one until everything else is done. You would probably not want to get a wheel too much smaller, since the diameter of the wheel is the only mechanical advantage you get on the turning. Not sure what a minimum diameter is, but your arms would look like popeye's if your wheel got too small [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

While I have the wheel out, I will look at what it takes to remove it from the shaft and report back.

Happy Jeeping
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Old Hand

I took the steering wheel and shaft out. Supported in a socket on a vise and gently tapped on the loose nut with another socket that fit over the shaft, don't distort the threads it's easy to do. Sometimes a little heating and cooling will help loosen the shaft if you have a set of torches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:10 PM
RedSandDog

I ran into to two problems with an aftermarket steering wheel on my '74. First is that they usually require an adapter, which moves the wheel too far into your chest (IMHO), to be comfortable and probably safe. Second is that without power steering, the leverage of the bigger wheel is really nice. I am replacing my aftermaket wheel with a stock 3 spoke. They shouldn't be hard to find, I bought mine locally, but ThinkJeep.com used to have them
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 09:26 PM

4wheeldrive hardware has a special catalog for our year jeeps 75 being the last year that the original cj5 configuration was used by the way welcome to the club i too own a 75 cj5 renegade levis edition 304 V8 t15 tranny dana 20 t-case dana 44 rear with 3.73 gears and dana 30 front with drum brakes and matching 3.73 gears
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 01:15 AM

Eastwood company has a product kit for restoring old cracked steering wheels. A stout epoxy may work too and it could be painted over with SEM vinyl spray coating from auto parts stores.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like we have the same Jeep. Mine has 46K original miles on it. It was left up in the mountains for hunting 3x times a year and summer getaways here in AZ.
It does have an aftermarker hardtop on it (they got tired of replacing the soft tops over the years)
It also has a tow bar and and twin jerry can rack with the spare tire mount.
Just a toy for me. I am only 1 mile from the mountins (US Forest) that are between the US and Mexico. Lot's of places to roam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode