Busted R&P, Model 20, WWYD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
JMZ
Journeyman

Busted R&P, Model 20, WWYD

What would yall do? Is the 20 stout enough for my 350? Should I buy another R&P or find a different rearend? Damn the bad luck [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Two weeks ago I broke the bolts that hold the U-joint to the yolk on the dana 300 [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:58 PM
CJ5_1965

Re: Busted R&P, Model 20, WWYD

I don't know if it is bad luck, or just abusing light-duty stuff.

I don't know what size tires you are running, and if you have an open diff, or what - but I still recommend a stouter axle behind a 350. After all, it did break once already. I say it's time to swap in a 44 at least.

If you don't have the money, just replace the R&P, but don't call it 'bad luck' if it breaks again!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:01 PM

If you haven't already invested money in one piece axles, locker, trussing etc, I would see if I could find a ScoutII Dana 44 to replace the AMC 20. You will get a similarly old axle, but at least it will have one piece axles and larger diameter tubes.

If I were going to do this again from scratch, I'd get Dana 44's front and rear from a wagoneer, outboard the front springs and switch over to 6 bolt wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you just want to get back on the road for now and you have 3.54 gears, i have a set I'll sell you cheap... PM me...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Old Hand

With your Superior axles and a truss that 20 is as strong as a 44, but why sink money into stuff that's only as strong as what you've got. If you can get a R & P for cheap then that's a good temporary fix, but when I break stuff, it's usually a good excuse for an upgrade. If it were me, I'd look for a 9" Ford Cab and Chassy (which is about wide track lenght), or a Dana 60. Why put something in that's just going to do this again?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:09 PM

He is right about the AMC 20, i would get new gears for it.. I just got 4.56's for mine for like $200
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
JMZ
Journeyman

A 9`` would be nice . I don`t know what to look for. I`ll probably put the R&P in this time and then look for better axles for a swap this winter. I am in the middle of getting a house and shop built right now. We just bought a place with a house that was not finished. We are finishing the house and I am building a 30 X40 shop. PLus now the weather is getting nice down here I want to drive my jeep. Thanks for the replys. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Old Hand

If your wide track, a cab and chassy 9" is an easy swap. That's anything that had a 9" rear and factory dual rear wheels under the body. Look for junked campers and dually Ford's. The junk yard here quoted me $100 bones, I just have to find a decent front that matches. Good luck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
JMZ
Journeyman

Cj5, If I replace the axle, it will not be with a 44. The ring gear on the 20 is bigger than a 44. An AMC 20 with solid axle shafts should hold up as good as a 44. Maybe the tubes are weaker but not the R&P. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If it was me, i would replace the r&p and ask yourself a few questions. What kind of shape were the bearings in. If they were tired or worn out, then that is what broke the r&p. There are a ton of reasons why it could have broke. But the amc20 is a strong rear.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode