Off Roading Forums banner

Painting steel wheels black

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  JEEPN 
#1 ·
I picked up a set of steel wheels off a bronco to use for my winter rims. I'd like to paint them black before I get the new tires installed, and I'm mulling over the choices for refinishing them:

1) rattle can primer and rattle can rust paint;
2) quality metal etching primer and rust paint using spray gun;
3) quality metal etching primer and catalysed urethane car paint.

The rims have only a touch of rust on them now, and are currently painted silver. They had hub caps on them, so they don't need a lot of stripping. I had considered sand blasting,but they aren't that band, and the cost would be as much as I paid for the rims ($80.00).

Any suggestions? What kind of paint stands up well to rust on wheels? I live in a climate of snow, salt and sand.

#2 ·
i bought a set of uesd Steel rims that had a rusty chrome complection to them. I took after them with a 3M scuff pad, Primed them with the Rustoleum Industrial primer, a couple coats, and then sprayed them black with the same Rustoleum Industrial brand rattle can. been holding up nicely for two years now....

#4 ·
I've just done that. Mine had quite a thin layer of white paint on them an some minor rust. Didn't take long to get them back to bear metal. Sprayed them in metal etching primer and used ordinary black rattle can paint to paint them. See pic....

Attachments

#6 ·
I've got a number of relatives in England (live in the countryside and farm). They tell me that jeeps are getting popular there. Did your CJ come from a British dealor? I'm looking at the turn signal indicators on your fenders, something unique.

#7 ·
How pretty do want them to look Tim? Will you wheel the Jeep at all with these rims on? For mine, I scuffed them with some light sandpaper and used black rocker-guard to coat them. This stands up real well to trail scratches.

BTW, looks like we'll be going out to our favorite wheeling spot on September 28. You're welcome to join us if you can make it. I can send you some pics of the terrain from the trip we did this past weekend. I'd post a couple here but they're too large.

#9 ·
Tim,

There are reportedly around 500 CJ's in the country. Jeep never had a dealer in the U.K. until '93. Anything before this have been private imports from the States.

Yes Jeep has become quite popular in the U.K. (very good sales) but mainly Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. I recently read that there are around 3000 TJ's on the road at the moment but as said, you mainly see Cherokees.

I've never seen another CJ around where I live. Seen plenty of YJ's though.

Mine was privately imported from the States in '90 and I am only the second owner since. It was very low mileage (36000) and was only used as a runabout on a farm in the States. I've owned it for 7 years now and put about another 40k on top just driving locally and to and from off-road events.

As for the turn signals; The original ones in the grill are not allowed here hence the european style indicators. I personally hate them as do most other CJ owners. I am sure though that at my vehicle test station I would get away with removing them and use the original grill ones. He might make a comment that it is not allowed, but he wouldn't fail the Jeep. Also next year I am smog test exempt, only a visual required... Yipeeeeee

#10 ·
In reply to:

What kind of rocker guard did you spray them with? The black rubberized kind you paint over?

[/ QUOTE ] Yup, that's the stuff. It bonds very well if you scuff up the wheel first and is very durable against scratches. Gives the truck a tougher appearance and makes other cars avoid you in the grocery store parking lot.

#11 ·
Like they don't avoid us in the parking lot already! I'd like to see someone try to ding my paint with their car door, they'll hit nothing but bumper hitch, diamond plate or bumper.

There has been a major snag in my wheel refinishing project. They don't fit!!!! I tried one on Saturday morning, and despite the correct bolt pattern, the hole in the centre isn't big enough to fit over the front hubs. The jeep has the lug holes awfully close to the hole in the centre. Apparently ford wheels, while 5 on 5.5, don't.

I might just end up buying some 8" rims. Glen at Jeep doctor says he can get black rims for around $60.00 each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.