Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Fuel Idea (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/176331-fuel-idea.html)

Infernozx 09-12-2003 02:06 AM

Fuel Idea

So, a guy in our club with a sazuki had a shallow fuel cell made, and then realised that off-camber with 1/2 a tank, it would be entirely possible for him not to get any fuel.

He's got a gravity controled pickup rihgt now, but whats everyones idea on a bladder insdie the cell? one that would have fuel and no air in it, and shrink when emptied?

Jim_Lou 09-12-2003 07:27 AM

Re: Fuel Idea

It probably wouldn't be good for the bladder to be rolling around loose in the tank. And if it was, it would still roll to the down hill side.

WILL 09-12-2003 08:58 AM

What's wrong with using the gravity pickup? Don't aircraft use a weighted pickup so they are always on the bottom of the tank.

LEVE 09-12-2003 09:04 AM

1. It's not a bad idea, except...
2. Gas is corrosive.
3. The bladder would have to be made of some type of plastic.
4. Over time, lots of flexible plastics would fail,
5. Due to the action of the gas and flexing.
6. IMHO, a better idea would be,
7. To install good cavities and baffeling in the tank,
8. To keep the fuel around the siphon tube at times of off camber.

Jim_Lou 09-12-2003 10:09 AM

Will, I gather from his post that he has a flexible pickup but doesn't like it or trust it for some reason. Done right, I don't see a problem with it. Model airplanes use a soft neoprene hose with a weight on the end, but they don't have any intake filter.

Leve, good point. I had assumed that we were talking about a fuel bladder made for the purpose. Anything less would lead to bad results for sure.

lomodyj 09-12-2003 10:27 AM

Chain saws have a soft neoprene hose, filter, and weight...

Infernozx 09-12-2003 11:19 AM

Yup. right now he has a soft hose with a weight, but it has yet to be tested off road.

Airplanes (like my dads) have multiple pickups on the bottom of the tank, although this works well, they have to be on the BOTTOM of the tank.

If.. there was a plastic, and it didn't corrode, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

It would be impossibly to suck air right? No air in the bladder, no air to the engine.

So it wouldn't matter if you were upside down in zero gravity, you'd still be pumping fuel.

maybe it's a little extreme for wheeling.. I'll have to mention it to my dad and see what he thinks.. cause he's scared to death that one of his fuel lines is going to leak, and puke fuel all over the inside of the plane.

mbalbritton 09-12-2003 11:36 AM

would it be safe to assume that if the bladder is soft and flexable that it could be sucked onto the pick up and seal it off from picking up any fuel? don't know, but that was my initial thought.....

pbmcauliffe 09-12-2003 11:59 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
would it be safe to assume that if the bladder is soft and flexable that it could be sucked onto the pick up and seal it off from picking up any fuel? don't know, but that was my initial thought.....

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking also. A few people I wheel with have made their own tanks in many different shapes, and none have had a major fuel delivery problem.

LEVE 09-12-2003 12:12 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It would be impossibly to suck air right? No air in the bladder, no air to the engine.

[/ QUOTE ]1. Nope, not unless you somehow evacuate the tank:[*]After the fuel is filled in the tank, [*]The tank is sealed.
2. Were I to do something like this I'd use a captive air system.
3. Install the bladder inside an air tight tank.
4. Install an air input valve ( Tire stem ) on the tank.
5. Seal the tank.
6. Open the valve,
7. Fill the tank to the top,
8. Close the valve,
9. Pressurize the tank to 15psi.
10. Now the bladder's under constant 15psi pressure.
11. This will Force it to collapse.
12. The pick up on the siphon can be protected via a manifold inside a baffle,
13. That would let the bladder collapse on the siphon end without causing fuel cut off.