Waaaay O/T - Be careful when you open the hood - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Waaaay O/T - Be careful when you open the hood

Subject: There is a strange noise in my engine!!

Supposedly happened right here in St Louis, 09/03/03. Pictures taken at Frank Leta Honda. I can't say for sure because I didn't see it in the paper.

A guy was driving I 44 to work from Ballwin and made it to Hampton when he heard a pop that sounded like a flat tire. He pulled over, opened the hood and jumped a mile. Co-worker recognizes him and pulls over. Imagine calling in - I'll be late for work and uh . . .

A huge snake - python or boa or something like that - got caught up in the serpentine belt. Snake - serpentine belt - Wah wah wah.

Anyway, don't load the attachment if you don't have a strong stomach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1185350-MVC001F1.JPG (49.9 KB, 263 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 05:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Waaaay O/T - Be careful when you open the hood

Bad place for warming up some cold blood. Damn. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As a matter of fact isn't thatcold blooded murder? [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Started out that way, but detectives are hot on the trail now.

REALLY [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

Now THERE is what I would call the only kind of 'good' snake there is... he appears to be D-E-A-D [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img].

Just imagine opening your hood on Saturday morning to change your oil and finding that son-of-a-gun in there alive. What do you suppose I'd have to replace after blasting my 258 w/ a couple of 12ga birdshot loads? [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]

He oughta have a belt and/or a pair of boots made - he'd have a good story to go w/ 'em....

R/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:11 PM

poor snake!

probably some neighbor thats been looking for his pet going to be upset too..

Ive heard of that happenig to cats pretty often, the snake is a first though.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:30 PM

Jerry with your hatred of snakes (same as mine) I guess both of ours spawned from Lejeune. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (freaking snake capital of the world I'm guessing)
And Jim I swore when I opened this thread that it was going to be about wasps/bees/yellowjackets. Never seen them as bad as this year before. And working at a yard..... you gotta be careful. Killed a hive that was 11" in dia. a couple days ago. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Can't Get Enough

Dirt Dog,

Honestly? In the eight years I spent in eastern NC (3 @ Cherry Point & 5 @ Camp Swampy), I only remember coming across one... and that was by my neighbors townhouse off Gum Branch Road in J'ville. (Promptly dispatched that boy w/ a round of .45acp snakeshot!)

I also had a few run-ins w/ rattlers on Pendleton & 29 'Stumps' during my first tour, to include one right beside my mailbox. Had to be careful 'messing w/' them - illegal to kill rattlers out there - figures for CA, not content to confine their 'hugging' to bunnies and trees, they hug their snakes too!

The most snakes I ran across have been right here in VA - one Copperhead that dang near got his fangs into my nose!, a nest of baby somethings, and a big ol' black snake that was getting romantic w/ my black Craftsman water hose. The latter one I almost picked up thinking it was the water hose... until it dawned on me that water hoses are NOT tapered on the end. Had a helluva hard time w/ him - he did not want to leave his new 'honey' and I was not about to blast a brand new $15.00 hose! He got down right nasty w/ me when trying to get 'em away from that hose!

But, my hatred of snakes goes back to a little ol' Ohio snake that nailed my trigger finger when I was in high school. Of course, I was mostly to blame, but that did not prevent me from 'roasting' him once returned from getting the obligatory tetanus shot. (I was trying to get our cat to play w/ the snake; the cat, being smarter than me wanted nothing to do w/ said snake, and dumdum me, ended up getting the bite for my trouble. Can you tell I'm not a big fan of cats either?)

I have heard of some pretty atrocious snake stories out of the Lejeune area. Maybe that's why I stayed out of the Croatan and away from the rivers and thus avoided personal experiences.

Snakes: [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:20 PM

Where in Oh. did you live in your younger years? All I have around me for the most part is garter (garden) and rat (black) snakes. (and a rare few others)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Good snake = Dead snake...

We have cultivated a good neighbor policy with a group of black rat snakes and a BIG black racer snake...between the two species we don't tend to see many other types of snake around my house. But if I come across any of them in my crawl space...see above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode