Auto Trans Leak - Front Pump Seal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Auto Trans Leak - Front Pump Seal?

My 999 trans leaks really bad from the front inspection plate when the jeep warms up (trans temp 150 degrees). My questions are:

1. It is likely the front pump seal
2. If so, can a backyard mechanic fix the leak with no special tools?
3. Could it be the torque converter?
4. If I pull the transmission to fix the leak can I bolt it to my engine stand safely to perform the work?

Thanks for the help

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Auto Trans Leak - Front Pump Seal?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
1. It is likely the front pump seal?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. The pump comes out as a unit, and is easily repiared.</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
2. If so, can a backyard mechanic fix the leak with no special tools?

[/ QUOTE ]The manual says you need special tools... but I do it with a couple of bolts to pull the pump assembly, it works very nicely. It's a job I do with regular hand tools.</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
3. Could it be the torque converter?

[/ QUOTE ]There are brass seals and bushings on the pump, impeller and input shafts. Any of these are likely the problem. I'd doubt it's the Troque Converter.</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
4. If I pull the transmission to fix the leak can I bolt it to my engine stand safely to perform the work?

[/ QUOTE ]I find it easier to put it on a bench and divorce the transmission from the transfer case. Then I set the transmission upright on the tail adaptor.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:09 PM

first of all, make sure its not over fille dor overheating and foaming out, since the trannys vent is right there also.

if it doesnend up being the front pump sela or bushing, you can do it yourself, or its cheap to have a shop do once the trans is removed.

you dont need to remove the pump from teh tranny, only the torque converter.

the seal and bushing are the parts of the pump that go around the nozzle of the converter.

when you pull your converter make sure the nozzle is smooth and doestn have any burs or irregular spots on it.

also, lube the nopzzle up when re installing.

otherwise its like any other seal removal.

the bushing is a bit harder to get out, but it can be removed with a puller, or pry tool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

I want to make sure I have all the parts I need. Do I just order a complete gasket set for the trans or to I get a pump rebuild kit and then a new pan seal. A list would be great so the jeep is not down too long.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:32 PM

you MIGHT be able to remove the bushing without removing the pump, sometimes they come out, sometiems they are a bear.

if you dont pull the pump you dont need ANYTHING other than the seal and bushing ( should be about $10 for both at local trans shop)

If you have to remove the pump to punch teh bushing from the inside, youll need the gasket behind it, and possibly the O-ring that goes around the pump.

you can probably buy those parts seperate from the same local shop OR order a generic TF-8 or tf727 gasket kit from any one of a zillion tranny shops , the trannys are so popular in other applications the parts are pretty cheap, you can get an entire rebuild kit for $77 ( probably eve cheaper if you shop)

or like I said you can carry the trans with you to the shop when you go for the bushing, and ask what they charge to do it, it wasnt much when I had it done yeas ago.

good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode