OT Remembering 9/11/01 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

OT Remembering 9/11/01

It's amazing that it has been two years since the WTC and Pentagon were attacked, but I remember the day like it was yesterday.

I heard the news as it was going on, and woke up my wife to see what was happening. I went to work for a bit, but wanted to be around loved ones, so I went home. The wife and I watched for awhile, but couldn't watch anymore and went to donate blood. Since I have a background in EMS & SAR (urban & wilderness) I went to our local DEM office and offered to go to New York to help if needed.
I have a few friends who are still overseas, and won't be back until April, some have been slowly getting back as their particular tasks are completed. I work around tall buildings, and sometimes I still look up when a plane goes over, or think of the firefighters/ems/police running in to the towers to help when I see then doing it locally.

So, Do you remember what you were doing?
Has your life been changed by it?

God bless all the heroes, those who have lost, those that have helped, and those still fighting for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT Remembering 9/11/01

My dad sent me a forwarded email that has a letter from a Marine In Iraq now. In the Letter he attached an image of all the guys in his regiment, or battalion (don't recall). they were standing in a formation that spelled out WE REMEMBER. FOur men holding a US Fag and also 9-11 written out in standing M-16 with helmets on them. I have it in my Other OS email. I'll see if I can reboot, grab it and post it before days end....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I hate mass emails.* However, I wanted to share this photograph with all of you at once.* The CO and I were talking the other day about taking a picture on September 11th so we could put it in the cruise book when we got home.* It was just supposed to signify that we were still inIraq.* I told him I thought it was a great idea but that I thought we should spell out a message and send it to the press.* I had a couple of suggestions but this is the one he liked the most.* We took the picture on the 9th of September and have sent it via email to every major publisher in theUnited States.* I mean everyone...the NY Times, Washington Post, Newsweek, Time....they all have so maybe someone will print it.*

It is in remembrance of those that gave the ultimate sacrafice on Septtember 11th, and the reason that no matter how long we are here we will continue to push and never forget why we serve.

I hope you enjoy.* Please feel free to share this with anyone you want.* The picture is of my company,* Baker Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marines.* It contains every member of my unit in country...over 160 personnel.* The 9-11 is spelled out in a symbolic tribute to our fallen comrades.* The symbolic tribute is an M16 rifle with fixed bayonet inverted into the ground with the Kevlar Helmet resting on top.* Old Glory is held by four Marines in the company that lost friends and family from NY on 9-11.* The words speak for themselves.* Enjoy......

I love and miss you all, and we will be home soon.

Drew

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1185319-Baker911.jpg (92.9 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 04:56 PM

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing...and I always will.
I often go back and read the stories of the survivors and heros to remind myself that there are still good people left in the world.
The reality of people jumping to thier deaths from the burning towers is also a good reminder when I start to complain about trivial things.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

We were living in our first house in Minnesota at the time. I was working second shift and was watching a Barney video with the kids when my wife called and said "Turn on CNN". About 10 seconds later the second plane hit on live TV. Burned into my memory forever.

Life is too short and unpredictable to not live every day to it's fullest.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Journeyman

Here is a site that looks at newspaper headlines from the 9/12/01. Man. I remember a lady coming to work crying and saying something about a plane hitting a building. A little while latter the second plane hit. I remember hearing a running commentary on the scene and a reporter saying, It looks like something fell off that building. Little did he know when he spoke these words it was the first building collapsing. I know what it means to cry for America now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Do I remember 9-11-01? You bet!

I was sitting in my Army JAG School Graduate Course classroom w/ 81 other mid-level JAGs representing all U.S. military services. Very sobering experience when folks to your left, right, front and rear currently have relatives and close friends in the places you are watching burn and smoke on TV. Some class members had just left Pentagon assignments a month or two earlier.

School atmosphere changed completely after that - went from an open (thus vulnerable) academic building to a relatively locked-down DOD facility.

Come to find out, the Pentagon office, to the left of the gaping hole, that had an American flag standing therein, was the office of a civilian I worked for about 12 years ago. He was sitting at his desk when the plane hit... was knocked across the room into the far wall... and managed to walk out a survivor. Not bad for a 60-something bureaucrat! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

On a related note, I had the opportunity to go to the FBI Academy here at Quantico to hear President Bush speak yesterday. I'd like to comment on one of his statements that I think we all need to keep in mind when someone suggests his Administration miscalculated the Iraq issue and it is turning out to be overly expensive in terms of lives and money:

We have to fight this war on terror - if we do not, we are hostages of any and all tyrants who would do us harm. We can either fight this 'war' here in the U.S. (w/ the resulting domestic civilian and uniformed casualties and catastrophic property damage)... or fight it outside our borders where the great bulk of American lives at risk are better trained and equipped to defend against attack. Either way, we are bound to see this challenge through if we want to maintain our current freedoms, liberty and relative safety. (While the press refuses to report or acknowledge the fact, we are actually losing far less men in Iraq/Afghanistan/etc. to enemy action and accidents than we would if these servicemen were here in the U.S. and dying on the highways and other accidental means. This observation is not - in any way, shape or form - an attempt to minimize the sacrifices being made by our servicemen in harm's way. )

There I went and did it again - got on my soapbox [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Sorry, I guess I just get a little passionate about things... [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

May God bless you, and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!

R/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Way Outta Control

I was cranking wrenches under the Caravan after a transmission rebuild and wrapping up the install while listening to the radio. My wife was over at the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport to see off her sister, and NW Stew. We never had a clue as to how all our lives were to change in the two years to come......

I, and my family, support the President in his task to eradicate the Terrorist vermin. Gods Speed to the Troops, and our prayers are they come home safely.

God Bless the USA!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My family was starting off our week vacation in Corralla NC (Outer Banks...end of the road) walked into the liquor store at 10 am and was asked by the clerk if we had been watching TV. He told us what was going on...In dis-belief I went to the car and listened to the radio...

Was talking with a high school friend the other day (another Air Force brat). After High School he went to West Point then on to a career in the Army, Armored Cav. We talked about a friend of his that was one of the service personel killed in Iraq last month...we started adding up all the Military personel we know...14 members of our graduating class of 90 went into the Military, 9 through West Point, Annapolis or Colorado Springs. We both had Fathers that did 30+ years in the Military...It adds up to alot of fine Service Personel. I know of nobody that I personally know that has died in either Desert Storm or Operation Iraqi Freedom...I hope I never have to pay this price for my freedom.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I remember my mother waking me up a bit before 6am telling me a plane crashed into a building in New York. I then watched for the next 3 hours, went to work, and was in a haze all day. I had tears forming in my eyes ever few minutes because it was so hard to grasp. I remember watching the buildings fall as it happened, and still can't shake that memory.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode