5.0 starter troubles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:51 AM
sirhumpy

5.0 starter troubles

I've got my 5.0 in and running but I think I have a starter problem. I'm using a motor from a 93 tbird, flywheel and bellhousing from an 86 bronco. The starter is from the 93 and was used on an auto setup but I think that the starter gear is constantly meshed with the flywheel and therefore spinning all the time. I've already burned one up. Has anyone run into this problem or know if there are manual/automatic designated starters? Should I use a starter for the 86 bronco? I'm running stock manifolds so clearance shouldn't be an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

Re: 5.0 starter troubles

I can't help you with the starter problem. I can offer that you find a Ford 5.0 mustang forum and ask them. I used those forums for a lot of my 5.0 specific questions.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It rarely matters what YEAR the starter is from with 5.0s. But if the 93 engine was an automatic it probably has the wrong nose cone on it. Fords don't have any adjustment, your starter either is the right one, or it's wrong. If your's is constantly engaging I'd say replace it. Just make sure it matches the transmission/flywheel NOT the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:35 AM

I had the same problem. you will want to go get a starter off a 4 speed truck (these are all the same starters). The starter gear sticks out to far on the starter you have now and yes it is running with it constantly. This will fix your problem! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:09 AM
sirhumpy

I ended up going with a powermaster reduction starter and it works better than I could have imagined and the 5.0 is on the road. Turns out that there is a flywheel with a 3/8 ring gear offset and another that uses a 3/4 offset. Thanks for all your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode