Hard top question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Hard top question

Hi All

Just bought a NEW/used Hardtop for the winter and was wondering if anyone had a few pics of how the hardtop connects to the windshield frame. My jeep came with a softop from the factory and I have no experience with hard tops. anyone able to toss a few snapshots on the board?

Thanks in Advance
Sean

84 Cj-7 258-T5-d300 all stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:46 AM

Re: Hard top question

Sean,
There is a metal strip which is fastened on to the fiberglass of the top and then is held on to the windshield frame with sheet metal screws. There is a seal which goes along the top of the windshield frame and another one which goes along the body to hard top mounting area. You can buy the whole shebang from 4WD Hardware for about $20.00. Where you mount the top to the body along the sides of the body, use eye bolts in place of regular bolts, and you end up with nifty tie-down points.
Enjoy the hard-top, it really makes a difference. In fact, it even makes the OE jeep heater seem adequate!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:21 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What is adequate in San Antonio is much different from what's adequate in Indiana and locations up north. But a hardtop makes a huge difference in a CJ. My CJ windshield still iced up with the heater/defroster going full blast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:52 PM

EVer have to scrape the *inside* of the windsheild of your cj at every intersection.... but I still drove that over my full functional, heat producing car... yea its a love hate relationship with my jeep!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Well I live up in the NW and on top of that I live in the Mountains, It gets a bit cold here. Some of the Hard core Jeep guys I know are already giving my crap about the Hardtop thingy. These Cats use a Bikini top all year around (they just bundle up) But im 36 now and my joints ache I'm old Like LEVE [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and I needs me Comfort thanks for the info

Take Care
Sua Sponte
Sean
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:43 AM

One thing you might want to check out is to make sure the vents and vent hoses for the defroster are good. The hoses have a way of coming loose and some of the older ones are a paper type material and they just disintegrate over time. You also may want to consider upgrading the blower motor. There is a thread from before about swapping out the blower motor for one from a truck with higher output. Another trick is to add an auxilliary heater to keep you warm.Hving spent a lot of time in the adkotas and 10 years in Germany with the old 151A2, I know exactly what the cold and a jeep are like. Thats why I have settled down in San Antonio. It is a lot easier on the old bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode