O/T - Best Digi Cam Under $250 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

O/T - Best Digi Cam Under $250

Well I had a real nice Minolta camera that cost me around $400 a few years back and it was recently stolen. I've been wanting a digital camera for a while now, and now I can get one. My goal is to spend less than or around $250 for the camera and all the goodies I'd need to go with it. I know some cameras come with a real small memory chip out of the box and almost require the buyer buy another bigger chip for more $$$. I don't know how much memory I'll need but the more the better. I'd also like a camera with high quality shots.....so no cell phone camera's for me.

So who out there knows their stuff when it comes to these suckers? What should I buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:55 AM
BHT

Re: O/T - Best Digi Cam Under $250

I just bought a Canon A60. After doing a fair amount of research I don't think you can beat it for the money. One thing I learned is that the quality of the lense is more important than the pixel size. I bought mine with extra memory and a case from Beach Camera for just under $250. It's got all the features of the $900 Sony I was borrowing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 11:53 AM

Ditto the Canon cameras. I just picked up an A70 for around 300 w/ features to rival cameras costing 3x as much. Things to look for while comparing:

1. Battery- proprietary or regular sized batteries? You can always find AA batteries (rechargeable or otherwise). Spare proprietary batteries cost alot of $$.
2. Memory-how cheap is it to upgrade. They all come with very little memory. Canon uses CF which is widely available and relatively cheap.
3. Ease of use. Some cameras require an engineering degree to figure out.

There are, I'm sure, tons of other considerations ie. white balance, compression modes, lcd size, etc... but don't get too hung up on megapixels. Unless you're printing posters 3-4 mp is just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:49 PM

While not the best in the world, and out of production....I love my HP 315. Price is right (can be found all over the place), has been a pretty tough piece (rides in a ziplock in my jeep all the time), and has served me well.
Thats my $.02. And I also think ricochet and raduckal have the same thing. Ask them how theirs has served them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Do you guys have any opinion of Sony's Cybershot cams? I've seen them in action, and for a "basic" camera seem to be pretty decent. I'm not a photo geek, but I'd like to be surprised by my purchase..... instead of letdown...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Roman

You probably already know about this page, but just in case... If you scroll to the bottom of the URL, you can check out the top budget cameras. You can read the reviews and see what accessories are bundled.
Cnet Camera Reviews

Mine is a Sony DSC-S30, a few years old, only 1.3MP, but takes excellent pics. The drawback with Sony is they only bundle a tiny 4MB stick with it, which really stinks; you can't store anything hardly in high resolution. But... they do make a 128MB sick from Sandisk I believe for about ~$35.

Canon really seems to have a nice line out, you may want to check them out if one fits your budget. If I was to replace mine, I might look at them first.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

I don't know much about the Sonys, but Fuji makes pretty decent cameras for under $250.
If you had the money, I would check out the Olympus C740. I just bought one about a month or so ago and love it. I had been researching it and comparing it for about a month before I bought it. It has 10X optical zoom with a 3X digital zoom. Solid as all heck too. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
It is a bit pricey though. Cheapest I found it was at Circuit City for $450. I had to sell a bunch of stuff on Ebay first to afford it. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Back to the subject... Check out some of the Fuji cameras for good quality, yet not as painful in the wallet. I had a Fuji A101 that took excellent pictures and took a beating very well too. It just had no zoom, except for a 2x digital zoom.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:33 PM

olympus. try office max
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Anyone have or have experience with the Canon Powershot A70? I really like it from everything I've read.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Roman

No experience with it first hand; however, (FWIW) my friend has this camera and he really likes it. I have seen the pics he has taken and they look nice, and they print out very nicely in boarderless 8.5x 11 mode. I just read up on it at the link below and seems to be a nice camera as long as you aren't a pro.

A70 Info

The only thing I didn't like, and this is a personal preference, is that it uses the AA batteries. I prefer the Lith-Ion's that are rechargable... which is why I have hesitated to replace my old Sony; that and the Infolithium from Sony tells you how much is left charge-wise. The benefit to the AA's though is you can pick them up pretty much anywhere if they decide to die on you.

I like the camera though, some really nice features for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode