New to the board. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to the board.

Hi my name is Juan. Im new to this board, and to the off road scene. Im in the Air Force and stationed in Little Rock AFB. Im a Fire Fighter.

Anyway I happened to recive a 1974 CJ-5 today. Funny story really.

I have a friend that was sent to alaska, when he left Little Rock he also left behind his jeep (the 74), It was in a storage facility when he left in May. Today I go to remove my 69 buick from the same storage facility and get news that I have 2 vehicles there. The buick, and a 1974 CJ-5.

What hapened was my friend couldnt leave Little Rock if he didnt pay for his storage bill, so what he did was say the Jeep was not his, but mine, unfortunately (or so I thought) I got stuck with the storage fee ($250). I was pretty pissed, Until i called alaska and talked to the previous owner, he apologised and is sending me the title for the jeep, and the keys are in the ignition.

YAY! I got a 74' CJ-5 for $250! The jeep is in ok shape, everything works, except the engine(232), which is smoking, but it still drives fine. Rust is very minimal, and it has a white hardtop, and a hitch on the front bumper. Im going to go pick it up tomorrow and park it at home...

Then ill start dropping some money into it.

Is there anything in particular you guys think I should know about these jeeps?

And how much is the average on getting that 232 rebuilt?

Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 12:55 AM

Re: New to the board.

Welcome to the board Juan. You're in the right place.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
RedSandDog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Then ill start dropping some money into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, you will.

232 is not the most desirable motor, you might see if you can swap it out for a 258. Or a 304. Or....................

Welcome to the fold.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Welcome to the board...
That is a great story and probably one of the best buys I've ever heard of. I have to tell you I pesonally would not rebuild that motor. I would either drop in a 258, 304, or 360 out of a similar model Jeep IMHO. For the mst part it will bolt in with minimal modifications.

What tranny, transfer case, and axles, does it have any other work done to it.

Anyways you've brought yourself to the right place I have yet to find a better forum. I am sure that all your questions will b answered here. Oh and by the way if you haven't already read the first post on the board and fill out your profile you'll get a better response that way.
John
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:08 AM

Welcome to the board!

As the proud owner of a '74 CJ 5 myself, I'm happy to say they probably have one of the best stock drivetrains to come out in a jeep....definitely the best in a CJ from a strength standpoint (the new TJ Rubicon is the best factory jeep every put out....with the possible exception of the MB!)

However, they were something of a transition model. They are a "long nose jeep" like the '76 and Later CJs. However, they still have the '55-'71 windshield and other odds and ends. They are a bit tougher to get parts for thatn '76 and later, but are good rigs.

I've got the 304 in mine, so I can't help you much with the 232. However, if you need to find some part that doesn't seem to exist (like say heater cables) drop me and email or a PM. I might have already found where to get it.

And when all else fails remember.....parts can come from anywhere....JEEP just stands for "Just Everybody Else's Parts"

Congrats on your new toy!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the welcome!

Now how hard would it be to put a 304 in the jeep?

What parts would I need to change out?

Im pretty sure everyone has asked that question before hehe, Is there a website or something similar with that info?

Thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Old Hand

Welcome to the forum, and it sounds like you got a great deal! Your right in that the questions have been asked before, and you can use the "search" funtion to look through the arcives. If you can't find the answer there, then just ask. If the guys here don't know it, than I don't know who would. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:19 AM

Check out http://www.shortwheelbase.com . That will really get you started! Also check out the various webpages of members. Lots to learn there.

As for dropping in a 304, I wouldn't....drop in a 360 instead. The 360 is the same physical size, but more cubes and power for the same weight. I will be replacing the 304 in my CJ5 with a 360 out of a '79 Cherokee Chief.

The swap would be pretty simple, relatively speaking, from the 232 to the 304/360, but the 258 swap would be even easier. I've a 258 in a '85 CJ7, and it's not a bad motor at all (though I am planning to get a 4.0 HO and put a 258 crank and con rods in it for a 4.6L stroker.....big reason there is I want the MPI!).

Out of curiosity, what tranny do you have? I'm betting it's a T-14, but there is an outside chance it is a T-18.

Oh, check out The CJ5 barn for some good info on what came on CJ5s from the factory.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool thanks for the info.

And I have no idea what the tranny is.

As for the 4wd, Is it like this?

<pre><font class="small">code:</font><hr>4wd L
|
4wd H
|
N
|
2wd </pre><hr>

It has a wooden knob so im not sure.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 11:08 PM

Providing it's the original Dana 20, it should be

4H
2H
N
4L

and you have to go WAAAAYYYYY back for 4 Low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode