283CJ5Cooling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

283CJ5Cooling

I have a "70 CJ5 with a 283 Chevy V-8 which is running a little hot. I currently have a single core radiator and a fan without shroud (no room). I am going to install an electric pusher fan but am also considering swapping the radiator. Does anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:43 PM
mcgoaw

Re: 283CJ5Cooling

When I had a 283 in my CJ-7 I used a 3 core radiator from a '85 Olds Cutlass. Make sure you take the bottom rests out of the car they're made of rubber and will cradle the radiator. Then you will need to fabricate something to hold the top, a small strap should do as there are already holes convienently lined up. As for a fan shroud, you should check into one of those universal fan shrouds they are only 3.5" wide and it helped me about 40 degrees. I'm running a 327 now and still using that same set-up. Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 09:36 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How can you be running a fan, but not have room for a shroud? I'm asking because a shroud made a HUGE difference in how my jeep cooled (302 ford - cj5 - electric fan). I would think you'd be able to notch the shroud around any accessories/belt/bracket or what not, but still let you benefit from the "tunnel" affect of the shroud.

Happy Jeepin.
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 02:56 PM
BigUgly

So, where do you live? How hot does it get? These could be answered if you filled out your profile.

Ok, I'm down off the soap box, I have been there, done that, got the Tshirt and used it to wipe up the antifreeze. I have a 383ci Chevy in a `62 CJ5, I have cut holes in the inner fenders, tried a pusher fan in front, tried a homemade shroud, still it ran at 210* in 90* weather, 230* at highway speeds. The electric fan started to wobble and rubbed a hole in the core, (I had a 3 core `64 Impala radiator) I tried soldering up the hole and ended up mounting the radiator a little out of place and the fan grabbed it and the rest is left to your imgination. I priced a new, "Impala radiator" it was priced at about $235.00, I checked with my local speed shop and found a, "Howe Racing" aluminum radiator for $175.00. This radaitor is about 17"h x 23"w x 2" thick, it has 2 1" cores in it. http://www.speedwaymotors.com has about the same radiators starting about $149.99 These don't have tranny coolers in them, they cost a bit more. Now, I can run 75mph shaking and rattling as I go at 175* all day long. This is because I have a 175* stat in it, it would probably run cooler with a colder stat. I need to put a shroud back on it because after getting off the freeway it will raise to about 195* for the first 10 minutes. Remember, that doing the hot weather a 30% antifreeze and 70% water will cool better that a 50-50 mix. Also, if you go with an aluminum radiator use only distilled water to prolong it's life.

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 07:22 PM
tom3

Stock CJ replacement radiator is a three core job, should cool any 283 with a decent fan, get on Ebay for about 150 bucks new, local parts store only a little more. I put an electric fan on my CJ in front of the radiator behind the grille. Used a stock Mopar fan of some kind from a junk yard and wired it to push. Works good and no 'fan through radiator' worries.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:49 PM
BigUgly

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Stock CJ replacement radiator is a three core job, should cool any 283 with a decent fan,

[/ QUOTE ]
A stock Jeep radiator has the outlet on the wrong side, a Chevy has a lower passenger side hose, a Jeep has a lower driver's side hose. How do you hook that up? I have 3 years of looking for the Holy Grail, The unreachable star of cooling a Chevy V8 in a Jeep. I could write a book on the subject of trial and error of Jeep cooling. As I stated above that's what will keep it cool. An aluminum radiator and a aftermarket auto tranny cooler if needed is the way to go. Here's a link to a race parts place that talks about aluminum radiators. SCP's radiator tech page

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

ANY "mom and pop" radiator shop can move the bottom outlet if that's the only issue you have with the stock CJ radiator. I actually have mine moved over to give me additional clearance.

I can't believe you wasted three years without checking into modifying your stock radiator. I guess if JEG'S doesn't sell it, it can't be done.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode