4wd system - 2000 tj - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Bigscout79

4wd system - 2000 tj

Gentlemen,

I have a 2000 tj 4.0 sport

I use the 4wd relatively regularly, so I'm doubting this is a problem of underuse.

I was at the Badlands in Attica, IN towards the end of May - this is when the problem first occured.

Problem: 4wd engages pretty well, within 2 or 3 feet of when the lever is pulled - I can hear/feel that I'm positively in 4wd.

When I take it out of 4wd, the light goes out yippee skippy, but I can feel it in 4wd for a long time - dry pavement it stays in the longest. I was on a gravel road (usually when I get on a gravel road I put it in 4wd just so it gets some use - at least twice a month) I took it out of 4wd as I approached a paved road and noticed it hadn't disengaged - I drove and drove wondering why it hadn't when I heard a unsettling clunk, slight front wheel hop and voila! it was disengaged - this was miles down the road. I've repeated this event multiple times, and it seems that a bump will act as a catalyst as well - like something needs the pressure removed to fall out.

Now: I'm not aware of how the 4wd system works in this jeep, I'm used to the more positive lever on the tc systems. Is this the quadratrack system? vacuum activated? why did it take so long? Where do I start? Suggested reading? Links?

*Note If I reverse and pull forward after putting lever down it disengages just fine (which I have to do in older trucks anyway, but the literature all states you shouldn't have to in this jeep) In fact it says you can shift into and out of willy nilly up to 55mph - I never would as I think you're just asking for trouble, but what gives?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

-Jeff
Bigscout79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Veteran

Re: 4wd system - 2000 tj

Your linkage may need adjusting,....sometimes mine will not fully disengage, that just tells me to crawl under and adjust the linkage,......it's not that difficult to do, loosen jam bolt/nut(what ever it's called), manually put the jeep in 2wd, ensure that your shifter is in 2wd, then tighten the bolt back up. Double check to see if you didn't over adjust it by putting it in 4hi, then 4low, if it engages in 4wd, then back to 2wd, you've adjusted it just right.

Hope this helps a bit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Bigscout79

Exactly what I was hoping for - thankyou.

Is this still a mechanical linkage? I for some reason thought jeep had moved over to a vacuum in the yj's and I wasn't sure if it was still vacuum or maybe electrical?

Thanks again,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Veteran

Yes, it's mechanical. When you crawl under and look above the t-case skid on the driver side, you can't miss it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Official Historian

The YJ used a vacuum disconnect on the long side of the front axle. The transfer case in the YJ is a manual NP231 just like the NP231 in the TJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode