convert f/s frame for use in older jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

convert f/s frame for use in older jeep

Dose anyone have experience in converting a full sive chevy frame for use under a older jeep I have a older suburban frame and running gear that I am thinking of modifing to my cj. The suburban came stock with spring over axles and reverse shackle on the front, steering arm on top of knuckle, heavy duty frame, power steering. All of these modifications would have to be made to my original frame, so it would seem like a good swap if it will work I know that it will need to be shortened and the axles cut down but not sure if the frame will need to be narrowed. any comments would be welcome. Thanks Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 09:08 AM

Re: convert f/s frame for use in older jeep

No direct experience, but some points to consider:

You shouldn't need to narrow the frame to fit the body - just make new body mount horns and weld them on to match the mounts on the Jeep body.

You'll have to examine the truck frame and axels to see what affect narrowing the axels will have. My memory is that the front wheels get pretty close to the frame at full steering lock.

If you narrow the frame then the engine and transfer case mounts aren't going to work either.

Another factor is the relationship between the front axel and the engine. I suspect that the axel is farther ahead of the engine in the Burb than in the Jeep.

At some point you might as well start from scratch. Then you have a nice clean frame with no patches or extraneous holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode